GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahhh got the correct clutch!

Default Ahhh got the correct clutch!

if anyone is interested in doing a clutch, I highly recommend ClutchNet - it's true they messed up and sent me a 240mm clutch disc (for an M3) instead of correct 228mm. It's slow around here so I took pics of the difference and, ultimately, the correct fit. They sent the clutch out without payment real quick - talked to them Tuesday and got it today.

Also, here are some better pics of the finish I managed to put on the flywheel as well.

And a comparison of the two clutch discs - 228mm on the left, 240mm on the right:

There really is not that much difference between the contact areas on each clutch disc - the 6 puck design means there is a lot of gap between the pads anyway, and furthermore the geometry of design really only moves the pads outward toward the edge of the 240mm disc, and not necessarily "taller" (or wider..) so, I am not sure in a 6 puck design that a swap from a 228 mm flywheel to a 240 mm would be cost effective for such little, if any upgrade.

Is there anything that would work well w/ FI on the street? 6 puck designs are not very well suited for street and I drive in traffic quite a bit.
    FS: PBR Deluxe rear brake pads [new]

UUC says their cerametallic thing is good but you sacrifice max holding ability for driveability. I drive in traffic too - its not as bad as you think.

the total surface area of the clutch pucks looks identical to the M3 design, doesnt look like an upgrade in terms of holding power, but it might be easier to slip.

if you want street, get an M5 organic clutch.

too bad they dont make some sort of wet clutch (not shared with the motor oil) that acts as a torque converter when the clutch pedal is halfway down, that would be fricken sweet.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    the total surface area of the clutch pucks looks identical to the M3 design, doesnt look like an upgrade in terms of holding power, but it might be easier to slip.

too bad they dont make some sort of wet clutch (not shared with the motor oil) that acts as a torque converter when the clutch pedal is halfway down, that would be fricken sweet.
    Would the m5 cluthc need a new flywheel to bolt up to m50?
    FS: PBR Deluxe rear brake pads [new]

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa

Doesn't look like an upgrade in terms of holding power? Do you mean M3 vs M50 or stock versus this?

Jon,
    Why is the puck style used for high perf. applications?
    Seems counterintuitive to reduce the friction area.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

ahhh! i'm glad you've got it sorted, NOW you'll be able to appreciate all that power , i know the pressure plate is uprated, but i can't see the point in it being red coz you'll never see it , i'd be very interested to know what it's like on boost now that you have no slippage

Nice Jon.....how long is the break in period ? Is this the same pkg. you think I should get ? And if so....pm me the damage to wallet please.
    Kudos.......Vinny
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast