GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: memory function to seats possible afterwards?

Default memory function to seats possible afterwards?

I have sport seats (leather, electronically adjustable and heating) but NO memory. Is it be possible to retrofit memory function to the driver seat?

Quote Originally Posted by pheno
    I have sport seats (leather, electronically adjustable and heating) but NO memory. Is it be possible to retrofit memory function to the driver seat?
    the seats need to have the memory output motors (extra plugs on the motor itself), it may have these it may not - so that the memory module can asses what position the motor is currently at

however your car more as likely wont have the wiring in place for memory

Thanks for quick reply! Any idea are the needed parts sold separately ? I just _want_ the memory function

Quote Originally Posted by pheno
    Thanks for quick reply! Any idea are the needed parts sold separately ? I just _want_ the memory function
    if the motors arent memory motors i guess you could swap them from an e34 or e32 that has memory - probably best on an e32 as they tended to have memory more than e34

as someone who has played with the motors to fix dodgy twisted seats id advise against 2 things, 1 playing with them(they are hard to access in some places) and 2 once the seats in the correct position...leave it there! its only a matter of time before your seats starts twisting because of the infamous control cables shroud stretching/cable stretching (cant remeber which causes it) - i changed from manual to electric and id never have electric seats ever again! if i got the chance id swap back!

also you need the massive control memory module that goes below the drivers seat and the wires that go to that will be needed, however im unsure on where they come from/plug into

I believe they also integrate to the side mirrors and so you would need to sort them out too

Ypu also need new side mirros, the innards are completely different on a memory switch and they have more wires.
    Details are on my website below on the link to Techboy's site. That is a training program for BMW techicians.

And the seat switches are also different inside. There are switches for electric seats and memory seats.
    You need (to have it cheap) a used E32 memory seat complete, that means with the memory module installed underneath, the wire loom, the 2 new outer mirros, new wire loom to the mirrors.
    And even if you get it cheap, it will cost a lot.

You should read some of the postings I made to this thread:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=28780

Let me reiterate: it is a LOT of work to get this done right, and so that everything works as it should.

If you do want to attempt it, I have the memory harness available for sale from my parts car.