GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OBC and outside temp sensor retrofit.

Default OBC and outside temp sensor retrofit.

I have had an obc for ages, planning to do the retrofit from the analogue clock. I've checked it out and I have everything I need, just waiting to find an indicator with obc button on the end.

I ASSUME I don't have an outside temp sensor as I only had the analogue clock to begin with, is it hard to add one of these? Having not looked at a temp sensor, I would guess the sensor just gets one wire to 12v, then the other to the correct pin in the obc connector. Does the cars wiring harness have a plug for the temp sensor, or would I have to route the wire ll the way back to the obc? (!)

Also if anyone has tackled the obc retrofit, some tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Giles Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NZ
    I have had an obc for ages, planning to do the retrofit from the analogue clock. I've checked it out and I have everything I need, just waiting to find an indicator with obc button on the end.

I ASSUME I don't have an outside temp sensor as I only had the analogue clock to begin with, is it hard to add one of these? Having not looked at a temp sensor, I would guess the sensor just gets one wire to 12v, then the other to the correct pin in the obc connector. Does the cars wiring harness have a plug for the temp sensor, or would I have to route the wire ll the way back to the obc? (!)

Also if anyone has tackled the obc retrofit, some tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Dan,

I did this last year on my car (94 525). My car DID NOT have the wiring in place for the temp sensor...So I ran a wires from the OBC to the front of the car...It's a pain, but if you are careful you can make a nice job of it. You will also have to run wires for Stalk (easy'ish job)...Oh yeah from what i remember the of the two wires for the temp one is gorund the other is from the OBC. Hope this Helps. I did not have the bracket for the OBC itself so hacked the hell out of the old one and it looks pretty good.

Giles

Unregistered Guest

I did this fit too, but my wiring was in place, although i should point out i looked for about 30 mins and gave up and was told 'you arent looking properly'! so i looked again and there it was, tied back about 1 metre away from the mounting hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I did this fit too, but my wiring was in place, although i should point out i looked for about 30 mins and gave up and was told 'you arent looking properly'! so i looked again and there it was, tied back about 1 metre away from the mounting hole.
    Was that the wire for the temp sensor, or the indicator stalk? One meter in which direction???

Quote Originally Posted by Giles
    Dan,

I did this last year on my car (94 525). My car DID NOT have the wiring in place for the temp sensor...So I ran a wires from the OBC to the front of the car...It's a pain, but if you are careful you can make a nice job of it.

Giles
    Thanks for that,
    Where did you manage to get the wires through the firewall? I would imagine that's the hard part, once it's in the engine bay I guess I would just run it around the edge of the engine bay and down to the bumper. It seems some already have the wiring, so I'll hope for that first!

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NZ
    Thanks for that,
    Where did you manage to get the wires through the firewall? I would imagine that's the hard part, once it's in the engine bay I guess I would just run it around the edge of the engine bay and down to the bumper. It seems some already have the wiring, so I'll hope for that first!
    I just followed the path that my alarm wiring went (not BMW alarm) I've no idea why some car's did not have the wiring in place, maybe it's a UK thing, hepefuly yours will be there!!

All the best,

Giles

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I just followed the path that my alarm wiring went (not BMW alarm) I've no idea why some car's did not have the wiring in place, maybe it's a UK thing, hepefuly yours will be there!!

All the best,

Giles
    My car was imported from Japan.. so it's specs are all weired, like no smilie lights for example, I better start looking...