GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it

Default Is it worth it

I bought my 90 525I about three years ago for 5 g's and thought I got a pretty good deal with less than 100k miles on it. It was my first Bimmer and I fell in love with how the car drove, felt, sounded and looked. Maybe should of replaced a few things right away but it ran perfect at the time. Well my first problem started with a broken timing belt which cracked the head I had that replaced, than had to replaced the radiator, water pump, alternator, brakes, tie rod, gas hoses to name a few. Running great again until my wife threw a fan belt and warped the new head. Had that machined and put back on ran good for a week than ran like crap wouldn't idle right. Had O2 sensor, temp sensors, air flow box, idle control valve, thottle sensor, fuel pressure regulator and a valve ajustment. All in all I have spent around 6g's just fixing the thing. And over two months in the shop. It really runs great now, better than when I bought it. I finally bought the wife a SUV so she no longer is in the Bimmer thank god. Was it worth it all the money, time and heartache I put into a car. Or are Bimmers so special that you do something you don't normaly do? If this was my truck I would have sold it for parts long ago. I'm a little tight for money this month after the last repair bill but all I'm thinking about is getting my Bimmer a new paint job and and new set of custom rims and tires. Am I or what. My buddies tell me I should sell it before it sets me back another 2g's what do you think?

Johnny B
    Last edited by Johnny B; 01-10-2007 at 12:24 AM. Reason: spelling

hell yes its worth it.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Default Past the point of no return!

you might as well keep it and enjoy it.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

except with what you spent you could have mine, minus maybe the new clutch or the alternator and new tires or the new belts,motor mount and upper control /bushings... I've got about $14,000.00 in what I'm driving now.What else are you gonna drive? Asking myself this and i honestly can't see another car i'd find to be more desirable that i could afford in reality. I can say I'd rather a Mclaren F1 or whatever sky's the limit Bugatti Veyron etc but i missed that boat apparently. If there exists a better handling more enjoyable ride out there i haven't found it.Every time i get in this thing its like an adventure.Other than stop and go traffic on the way to and from the highways and the open roads its always a pleasure to be behind the wheel.Its added a whole new dimension of enjoyment to my life and since i need a car anyway and I've driven this i couldn't willingly give it up for anything but another like it or of course one of those in your dreams super cars.. but its your life don't listen to me.I should add though i drive for a living so if you don't need a car like i do your priorities will differ.
    Last edited by Jehu; 01-10-2007 at 01:16 AM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

i think you already know the answer.....
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    If there exists a better handling more enjoyable ride out there i haven't found it.
    E34 535i

actualy, a 525 should handle a bit better than a 535 due to less weight of the engine block.

nevermind...... he was talking about a 540...... 3Kg heavier engine...... but it has aluminum lower control arms, so its pretty much the same!
    Last edited by BillionPa; 01-10-2007 at 02:30 AM.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

What are you going to get if you sell your bimmer? That may help to answer your original question.
    (SOLD) 92 525ia M50 | NGK plug | JVC AR560 | EAT chip | California

Default my thoughts

had 2 bimmer before and throw good amount of money to repair and mentain each till i got fed up.
    shortly after selling both i realized that i can't live without a bimmer.

recived my 93 525 one month ago for BD1400 (around 3700 USD)
    spent 1600 $ so far to get things right and i am not done yet.
    im trying to correct things from the start to -hopefully- avoid some expensive repairs later

i have no idea how much i will spend withen the coming 3 years but no matter what, every time i throw money in my bimmer i will be way ahead of making a new car payment .. plus the new cars that i can afford wont satisfy me like my old bimmer.

Your in pretty deep. May as well get something for the investment, if the body is good and a new PJ makes you happy why not. Don't expect to recoup the $$$ though.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast