GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it worth it

Can you really justify selling your well maintained and gorgeous E34 for some extra cash? Your friends are just jealous
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

Default Johnny B

Take it from this angle,

You enjoy the car, Yes you have invested a great deal of money into it but I assume that you didn't skimp on the quality of the parts that you have put in, therefore you should get a huge amount of mileage out of it without incident.

Cars tend to 'wear out' in fazes, some cars will do a huge number of miles without anything going wrong, others will seemingly need constant repairs, but if you are able to get replacments done in batches i.e. all the suspension components, the brakes overhauled, the engine work done. You will find that you may well spend a lot of money in a hit but those items will not require replacement for many many miles. I am just about to spend $6K on full overhaul of the Automatic Transmission in mine, when I talked to the Wife she never even batted an eyelid about it. We just 'had' to do it as she loves it (even though she is dead set scared of driving the car!) as do the kids. It's funny this car has affected the whole family.

Sorry I digress........

I also think that if you do a lot of short hops say less than 15 miles a day in a trip all the time it car never really gets all the components up to their full operating temperature for an extended period, this can lead to premature wear and tear.

Here's an idea,
    If your able to, take your Wife with a picnic lunch and your car and go for a day trip every couple of weeks if you can manage it. The day out with your Wife will be appreciated by her (you probably won't get any grief about a day out even if it is in the car, the picnic lunch will help here) and you will get the joy of driving your car for an entire day. This will help to keep it in good condition as it is getting everything nice and hot, your car will thank you and your Wife will thank you and what is more you will be happy and you may kindle the affection that most people here display in one way or another for their 'special Bimmer'

Like Paul said, 'I think you know the answer'

Cheers!
    Boom 'n Zoom

Default I did know the answer but wanted to here it form you

You guys are right just what less would I buy. I have thought about it a lot, it would hard to down grade to a lesser ride than a Bimmer. I guess the repair bills are part of the price we pay for the ultimate driving experance. I have thought about getting a newer Bimmer but really like the e34's design compared to newer models. So I going drive it everyday until it goes back in the shop. I got my fingers crossed. Thanks for the advise.

Johnny B
    Last edited by Johnny B; 01-10-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Ideally when buying one of these cars you look for a one or 2 owner car that was well maintained with all records. My 90 535i was a 2 owner, dealer serviced car that I bought 4.5 years ago for $5800. I redid the suspension w/M-Tech stuff, renewed some bushings, replaced some trim pieces & replaced the cat w/a nice used stock one. Other then that its been a great car which has never let me down.

Yesterday I bought a 2 owner 95 525i Touring w/136k for $4200. Second owner bought it from a dealer w/24k & has maintained it religiously since. I got a 1" thick folder filled with all service receipts with the car. In the last 3.5 years (40K) he spent over $9,000 replacing most everything that goes on these cars; most of it within the last 20k. Frt & rear shocks/inserts/mounts, links/tierods, frt & rear brakes incl calipers/rotors/lines, radiator, complete a/c system, engine & auto tranny seals(incl. pump work/flush/filter @92k) and much, much more. Oil & filter changes every 3k by his tech. All parts were BMW factory stuff & the prices are mindboggling. $433 for EACH front caliper!! He commuted in the car & had to have it on the road so anything his tech pointed out was replaced. Just got a new water pump/thermo/belts last month. He was a motivated seller with an 06 325ix Touring who wanted out, dropped his price over $1000 & threw in a nice Yakima roof rack to close the deal.
    Last edited by John B.; 01-10-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digita1 Ecstasy
    E34 535i
    I forgot to add;"with this kind of power" because i forgot not everyone knows it as intimately as i do now.... I couldn't do without the power,the power..... the powerrrrrrrrrrr.....
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    If there exists a better handling more enjoyable ride out there i haven't found it..

e34 m5, SLS removed, Koni/Eibach, camber plates and upgraded sways. turrrrrr(psh)rrrrbo

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake
    e34 M5, SLS removed, Koni/Eibach, camber plates and upgraded sways. turrrrrr(psh)rrrrbo
    not by much and without the turbo and plenty of highway it would be close wouldn't it ? How do the M5's do WOT up over 100MPH next to the M60 with six gears?My 540 already has the bigger sway bars were M5 sway bars even bigger than the Sport bars?Still my point was in reference to E34's in general not necessarily my 540 but these cars as compared to anything else which is not in the Super-car category which i suppose would include some Porche.
    Last edited by Jehu; 01-10-2007 at 09:01 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12