GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESS supercharger for 540i

Default ESS supercharger for 540i

I'm thinking about trying to put together the cash for an ESS supercharger. I already know that in order to reap the benefits of 410+ hp, I'll need bigger wheels & brakes... which adds a few grand to the operation.

1) Any suggestions for good places to find BMW wheels for relatively inexpensive? Has anyone had any experience with aaarims.com?

2) Is there anything else I should need to upgrade under the hood at the same time as the supercharger?

Thanks!
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Brandon H. Guest

Quote Originally Posted by andyman32
    I'm thinking about trying to put together the cash for an ESS supercharger. I already know that in order to reap the benefits of 410+ hp, I'll need bigger wheels & brakes... which adds a few grand to the operation.

1) Any suggestions for good places to find BMW wheels for relatively inexpensive? Has anyone had any experience with aaarims.com?

2) Is there anything else I should need to upgrade under the hood at the same time as the supercharger?

Thanks!
    Under the hood, yes. Usually the kit comes with bigger injectors, maybe a fuel pump and pressure regulator. Also new software for it. I would be more worried about your transmission, if it's an automatic. If it's a manual, lightweight flywheel and HD clutch. I am a bit more careful about power on my car b/c now that i've toasted a transmission, and also found out the car is driven entirely by rubber. (yes the dual mass flywheels are connected by rubber) I am sure you can find a way to build up the automatic transmission to handle the extra power. Also have you installed better suspension yet? I would honestly make suspension, wheels, and maybe the 750/850i brakes for the front the first modification before the blower.

Quote Originally Posted by andyman32

Thanks!
    Not to hock my wares, lol, but when/if you decide to go ahead with the ESS SC I carry them so give me a ring/email. I also own a 95 540i 6spd so we're kindred spirits too. I can also help with the brakes.

-Nick Talbot

www.bavariantuning.com

Here are the details of the kit:
    1993-1995 540i 6PSI PD Supercharger Kit

The '93-'95 540i system is based upon a Powerdyne BD11AS main supercharger unit which gives exceptional power gains, with civilized everyday driveability.The system maintains all diagnostic functions and is 49 State Emissions Legal. It is backed by a comprehensive 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. The system installs in 10-12 hours using normal hand tools and no irreversible modifications to the car is necessary.

410HP (6PSI)
    CNC ALUMINUM CRANK PULLEY
    8 LARGER BOSCH INJECTORS
    NEW ECU CHIP
    RECALIBRATED MAF
    POWERDYNE CENTRIFUGAL SUPERCHARGER w/ESS upgraded internal components.
    CNC HARD ANODIZED DUAL BRACKETS AND HARDWARE
    K+N FILTER
    DISCHARGE AND INTAKE ASSEMBLIES
    INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
    LONG-LIFE SERPENTINE DRIVE BELT
    OIL BREATHER ASSEMBLY DESIGNED FOR BOOST
    CNC MACHINED, ANODIZED FAN SPACER
    100% MAINTENANCE FREE OPERATION
    2YR./UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY
    Last edited by NickT; 04-24-2004 at 07:18 PM.

How much does this cost?

5HP30 tranny are very robust... even the V12 BMW engine uses this tranny... not to mention Rolls Royce too that has 500HP engine.

Ya think so? It would be serious sh!t on a sh!ngle if I spent $5k (retail cost of supercharger) then burned out a transmission a few weeks later.

Nick - thanks for letting me know. If/when I do this, I'll give you a call. Unfortunately, my tranny is the 5HP30... auto. :-\ I'm almost thinking I might keep this one as my DD, then get another 540 w/ a manual as a track/project car.

Anyhow, I've been convinced to work on other things first... sport suspension, bigger wheels, bigger front brakes. Oh and I need something else for this project... MONEY!!! Thus far my horticultural project (money tree) has been unsuccessful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    5HP30 tranny are very robust... even the V12 BMW engine uses this tranny... not to mention Rolls Royce too that has 500HP engine.
    Last edited by andyman32; 04-25-2004 at 06:23 AM.
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Ask around... you will find out why BMW used 5HP30 tranny... I think it is the strongest tranny from ZF at that time.

Default ask kirt koeller

he told me the 5hp30 was overkill in the 540i/a. it's like having the allison tranny in a truck. this tranny was used in:
    austin martin DB7 ( 5.9 liters, V12, 420 hp, 400 ft-lbs. )
    Bentley Arnage (6.8 liters, V8, 400 hp, 619 ft-lbs)
    Rolls-Royce Silver Seraph (5.4 liters, V12, 322 hp, 361 ft-lbs)

i got the car list from a 5hp30 pdf from zf's web site & i got the car specs from edmunds.com .

tim s.
    Last edited by tim s; 04-25-2004 at 09:07 AM.

Do you do a s/c kit for the M30 535 ?

What type of s/c is it ?

Cheer's

Andrew

Default Tiger the 5hp30 is rated for a maximum input of 425 hp, so I would be careful on

the boost if using that....

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast