GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone PLEASE I D.....

Default Mysterious Relay-Auxi

the relays in the auxilary box, I have recently located a 130a drain constantly drawing battery to dead along with a series of clicking when this relay is intact and then reconnecting battery assisted with a chime as though the key is in ignition, but now not sure what this relay contributes to, per realoem, There should not be a relay in this place.

P.S No stereo, nor alarm installed!!
    Last edited by patznu; 01-09-2007 at 12:39 AM.
    1989 525i Ghostly Grey

130 amps??? Your battery cables should be glowing like a light bulb shortly before they pop. I assume you mean 130 milliamps...

Relay locations are in the wiring diagrams. Get 'em here: http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW
    Last edited by DaveVoorhis; 01-08-2007 at 07:36 PM.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

LOL...novice I am....DAVE, First thanks for you time and reply, but yes i did mean miliamps. This is the link that states "x61 -- not in U.S."per pages 13,14 , But my 89 525i m20 had this relay in and is now the culprit for a drain on battery while car is off....confused??

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    130 amps??? Your battery cables should be glowing like a light bulb shortly before they pop. I assume you mean 130 milliamps...

Relay locations are in the wiring diagrams. Get 'em here: http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW
    Last edited by patznu; 01-08-2007 at 07:47 PM.
    1989 525i Ghostly Grey

You mean something switched by the relay is drawing 130ma? If so, you'll need to find out what circuits the relay drives and check them. There are no shortcuts here.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

The relay could have the contacts fused together. Try switching it with another of the same relay from another spot.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thanks ... and I have tried this with another relay exact in part number... but clicking along with drain repeated ?? I also noticed that any relay to be used should engage to a white area in this box, the area where relay was pulled from is black....irrelevant or what??

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    The relay could have the contacts fused together. Try switching it with another of the same relay from another spot.
    1989 525i Ghostly Grey

Does everything work without this relay in place? I'd be tempted to see what happens without it!

B.

So far yes, but I am also anxious to test it out ... right now I went on to check this auxilary fan hoping this has nothing to do with this relay and now the front bumper and etc. are off, believe me the first chance i get to have my baby out on the road I will, and hoping the best.

Quote Originally Posted by oharab
    Does everything work without this relay in place? I'd be tempted to see what happens without it!

B.
    1989 525i Ghostly Grey

Default The Drain Its Back.....

After Four days of letting car sit with battery installed and connections in place and WITHOUT this mysterious relay car drove great on friday, but 3 blocks from home after work, the wipers stopped working during the rain...immediately I tried the sunroof and seat adjustments, nothing! Once home I check this infamous fusible link , thats it.... no problem I will replace it first thing Saturday. I did that and with out completely turning car over tested wipers sunroof and seats. All worked fine back in the house I go, An hour later the battery is dead and nothing showing on the meter. Here it is now Sunday, I have replaced the ground terminal, there were a few cracks in the lining so took no chances as I am clearly needing to find this drain. Battery was fully charged and car now turned over, turned car off waited 30 min and checked meter for any drain or draw from battery--reads 00.00 ... tried to start car ...Nothing. Battery daed all over again!!

Really Stumped ... Looking for similar case!!

Quote Originally Posted by patznu
    So far yes, but I am also anxious to test it out ... right now I went on to check this auxilary fan hoping this has nothing to do with this relay and now the front bumper and etc. are off, believe me the first chance i get to have my baby out on the road I will, and hoping the best.
    1989 525i Ghostly Grey

How old is your battery? If it's 5 years or older it is suspect.

Your last experiment sounds like the result of shorted plates in the battery. If the battery has been subject to freezing it can result in shorted plates. Excessive and repeated load can also short the plates.

Best way to find out the condition of the battery is to do a load test on it to measure the amperage. It may be putting out 12 volts but can't deliver it fast enough to do any work.

Charge the battery fully before the test.

Check the static voltage on the battery every 5 minutes after shut down and see what the residual voltage is without turning anything on.

Hope this helps.
    Spasso
    530iT, 525 5-speed , 328is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast