GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1994 Bmw 530i 171,000 (trying Not To Give Up)

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 Bmw 530i 171,000 (trying Not To Give Up)

Joe Here in Orlando
    1994 BMW 530I
    I took my car to Fields BMW to have my transmission service last week. A young twenty something guy changed by transmission fluid and he said that the fluid was burnt. Well anyway I wanted the fluid and the filter changed. He only changed the fluid. He also didn't tighten the bolt tightly and now my transmission fluid is leaking a little.
    One of the service advisors told me that I should not have the filter changed. The transmission is still shifting harshly. Should I have the filter changed or not? He said if I have the filter the transmission would not work anymore (Go FIGURE)
    IS THIS THE END OF THE ROAD FOR MY 530i?
    Last edited by Green Bimmer; 01-07-2007 at 10:31 PM.

Changing the fluid at such a high mileage is a bad idea. It will cause what was holding it together to come apart and cause it to fail. It's a commonly discussed topic.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 BMW 530I Transmission

The transmission was slipping so I took the car to the dealer and they suggest I change the fluid, So what do I do now that the gasket is leaking? IS THIS CAR TOASTED?

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    Changing the fluid at such a high mileage is a bad idea. It will cause what was holding it together to come apart and cause it to fail. It's a commonly discussed topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bimmer
    The transmission was slipping so I took the car to the dealer and they suggest I change the fluid, So what do I do now that the gasket is leaking? IS THIS CAR TOASTED?
    Its transmission might be, but thats an excuse to do a 5-speed swap, not an end for the car.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 530i

Thanks for the advise, but I don't have that kind of money right now. Maybe I will put the car up for sale and hoping I can get some money out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Its transmission might be, but thats an excuse to do a 5-speed swap, not an end for the car.

trans shops and dealers are crapshots. you need to change the filter ! they want you back for the 8000.00 change. be subjective here and search till you cant... its in here bro, I dont want to retype what i did hundreds of times.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

indeed, get that filter changed NOW. and replace the fluid again when you do it.
    then a week later change the fluid again. if you see crap in the old fluid, change it next week too, and keep doing that till its clean!
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Green Bimmer Guest

So you are saying that it is OK to change the Trans filter? I mean I am at a point that I have no choice but to try changing the filter and the heck with Fields BMW mechanics. I was charged $130 for the young apprentice to change trans fluid, what a waste. From the advise I am getting I wonder has any of you guys actually changed transmission fluid and filter in 1994 530i? I noticed in the Bentley manual there are instructions showing how to change the transmission fluid and filter. I am not a serious mechanic, I am taking the car to a shop that I trust. I mean one way or another I am going to find out whether transmission will fail. Right now God only knows

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    trans shops and dealers are crapshots. you need to change the filter ! they want you back for the 8000.00 change. be subjective here and search till you cant... its in here bro, I dont want to retype what i did hundreds of times.

Green Bimmer Guest

WOW! I really like your answer. You talk like you have done this job or has it done before. I like it when people give good sound advise (from experience). So again you are saying to change the fuild and filter?

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    indeed, get that filter changed NOW. and replace the fluid again when you do it.
    then a week later change the fluid again. if you see crap in the old fluid, change it next week too, and keep doing that till its clean!

since the fluid has already been flushed you really dont have much choice, the damage has been done. cluch disk material is not magnetic, so the magnets in the pan will not pick that crap up, you must rely on the filter. changing the filter will increase fluid flow which will remove more deposits from inside the transmission.

depending on how much, they can either escape the filter and get in the valve bodies, or be caught and only cause a problem when too much of them escape. thats why you need to keep changing the fluid till its clean.

if you do the work yourself its not that expensive, you just have to be very patient and work with the car on a level surface to ensure the proper amount of fluid is loaded.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast