GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! I think I broke my car...

Default HELP! I think I broke my car...

Well, lets just say I'm ****ing retarded, and I feel like an *******.

After having too many drinks last night, I was driving to go get some food from Arbys. I went to pass a jeep, and wound out 3rd gear pretty good, then as my friend said it, I "banged 4th without a rubber." I'm not sure exactly what I did, if I just didnt have the clutch in enough when I tried to jam it into gear, but it started making a LOUD rattling sound.

I pulled over, thinking I had just fried my clutch or smoked 4th gear or something, but the car still went into gear and drove fine, somewhat...

When I'm driving along in say, 3rd gear for example, and the RPMs are at about 2.5, just cruising, the shifter will be vibrating just a bit more than normal. But as soon as I let off the throttle, it "bucks" (for lack of a better term) before the engine begins to compression brake and then the shifter starts rattling and shaking rather violently. If I hold the shifter firmly, it stops rattling loud, but I can still feel the violent shaking.

I have no clue exactly what the hell I did, any help is much appreciated. The clutch still seems the same as far as taking off on a hill and whatnot, I'm not sure if its the guibo or something perhaps?

Thanks in advance,
    - Jeremy
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

Every time I've eaten Arby's I've gotten sick...FYI.

I think you'd be very lucky to have simply shot you're guibo or center bearing. The loud rattling sound may have been the tranny spitting out some bits. Either way, you'll need to get under it, get it running with someing in it shifting through the gears and try and determine the source. Just pray its not the tranny. Who knows, maybe you broke a linkage component.

You already feel stupid about the drinking, so we won't go there. If its expensive enough, maybe you'll abstain the next time you need a grease fix.

Good Luck,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

I have driven it a decent distance, about 50 miles since it happened.

If it was the tranny I dont think it would still be movable... it seems to have no problem moving other than the rattle in the shifter

I obviously dont want to drive it as is, but I also didnt want it to be stranded at my friends house 50 miles from my home. Took my chances and I'm pretty confident I didnt do any more damage by driving it, although it definitely doesnt seem right

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMPower
    I have driven it a decent distance, about 50 miles since it happened.

If it was the tranny I dont think it would still be movable... it seems to have no problem moving other than the rattle in the shifter

I obviously dont want to drive it as is, but I also didnt want it to be stranded at my friends house 50 miles from my home. Took my chances and I'm pretty confident I didnt do any more damage by driving it, although it definitely doesnt seem right
    So it works fine in 4th gear? Hmmmm, if it is the guibo or center bearing, you'll be able to see or feel the tranny shaking when you get under it. The only way to transfer vibes from these areas to he linkage and shifter is via the tranny (see pic/photo below). If the tranny itself is not shaking due to a guibo or center bearing etc., I'd be suspecting the tranny inerds.

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

It pulls totally fine in 4th, and at idle theres no noticable difference whatsoever. The vibration increases with vehicle speed, and engine speed as well. For example 3000 rpms is much louder in 4th gear then 3rd, and so forth.
    I'm thinking it could be shift linkage related like its barely holding itself in gear or something.

Default I'm pretty sure from you're description that

your guibo is coming aparts and pieces of it are hitting the shifter linkage.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMPower
    It pulls totally fine in 4th, and at idle theres no noticable difference whatsoever. The vibration increases with vehicle speed, and engine speed as well. For example 3000 rpms is much louder in 4th gear then 3rd, and so forth.
    I'm thinking it could be shift linkage related like its barely holding itself in gear or something.

where is the guibo located in comparison to the pic above?

my buddy thats going for the BMW step program is about to swing by and take a look with me

The guibo attaches to the tranny output flange (the thingy with blue paint at right-most of photo). It (guibo) joins the output flange to the driveshaft. Bill could very well be right (as usual). If your guibo was on its way out, the bad shift may have torn it up and caused a portion to hit the linkage.
    If I recal, you can just see the guibo beyond the end of the exhaust heatshield, at least on my 525.

Dave M

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Atleast you have Arby's Snakeyes and I have to drive almost into downtown houston to find the last one we know of

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast