GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About Buying a 95 525iT

Default Thinking About Buying a 95 525iT

What kind of mileage can I expect out of the auto trans? Known issues? Is the rear suspension a problem area? Whats involved in converting to standard rear shocks? Were any of these imported with 5 speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by John B.
    What kind of mileage can I expect out of the auto trans?
    Depends, on how it's been driven and maintained. Many have gone well over 100k and others see failure at 60k. Maintenance history seems to be critical.
    Known issues?
    Water pumps, radiators, suspension bushings, shocks, control arms, tie-rods, motor/transmission mounts; all are normal maintenance and the majority needed around 100k.
    Is the rear suspension a problem area? Whats involved in converting to standard rear shocks?
    Someone else will have to tell you about shocks, there's no pump or plumbing, just unique shocks. Front suspension is more problematic than rear I'd say.
    Were any of these imported with 5 speeds?
    No, but many have converted them to 5-speeds. Selling a good auto-trans while it's still working can pay for a 5-speed conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1
    Depends, on how it's been driven and maintained. Many have gone well over 100k and others see failure at 60k. Maintenance history seems to be critical.
    The car currently has 136k on it so its already over 100k. Its a 2 owner well maintained vehicle but from what you are saying the auto tranny is not known for a long life??

My 1992 525it with 160k miles has the original auto transmission. Shifts fine but the manual and sports settings are problematic. Fine if you stick to ED.
    Last edited by brick8; 01-07-2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: additional info
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Quote Originally Posted by brick8
    My 1992 525it with 160k miles has the original auto transmission. Shifts fine but the manual and sports settings are problematic. Fine if you stick to ED.
    Problematic in what way? Is this an external problem with the electronics or something inside the tranny?

I think it is an electronic problem and I haven't had time to delve into it. Basically, what happens is if you try driving on the highway in manual or sport mode the car goes into limp home mode when you hit 70mph. You can then reset it by turning the car off and pushing the reset button on the right side of the instrument cluster. The car then drives fine. Never have a problem at any speed with the car in auto mode (ED).
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

I bought mine a little over a year ago and the PO paid some $2500 for a rebuilt tranny @ 112K. From what I've read, tranny life is about 100-125K under normal circumstances.

If you're getting a touring, check out the dual sunroofs and make sure that's happening (expensive fix). Also, the rear hatch can, over time, pinch and sever the wiring harness back there, giving you eletrical fits.

That said, E34 Tourings are an excellent value for the $$$

the clutch unit is probably slipping due to exponentially increasing air drag fighting against increasing torque from the engine, throwing the code. that theory doesnt hold if you are in overdrive already at the time the code is thrown.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Man, I will be so jealous if you get a '95 Touring!

My auto fluid has never been changed. 107k. When shifted into Reverse, it has a two-second pause until Reverse engages...i.e., the clutches have wear. Oh well, it shifts smooth.

I need to get that fluid and filter changed soon.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

the pause isnt due to the clutches, its due to the valve controlling them. its probably coated with corrosive high friction varnish.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast