GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: no automatic gear position on LCD?

Default no automatic gear position on LCD?

Hello All, I have an E34 530i '88 and since a few weeks the position of the automatic gear (like 'D' or 'R' etc.) is no longer visible on the LCD display. What might be the cause of this? (the rest of the display seems allright).

I have a used display to exchange with, but with a much higher mileage. Does anyone know how to keep the original mileage with an exchanged display?

Thanx!
    Guurt (Amsterdam)

Mine sometimes won't show D. The selector switch under the shifter console is either dirty or loose. If I bump the shifter after its in drive towards "3", it'll display "D" on the dash. Funny thing too, if the dash doesn't show the "D" is when my transmission bangs into gear and gets all erratic in shifting, but when the "D" is shown, or when I'm in S 1 2 or 3, all is fine. Switch is definitely the culprit there.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

Guurt,

Ik kan je vertellen dat als je de originele codeerstekker gebruikt dan geeft hij jou kilometerstand aan.En anders moet je hem laten terugdraaien.Net wat snakeyes zegt moet je eerst maar eens de de aansluiting en schakelaar controleren.

Carlo

Told him the same story as you did snakeyes but in Dutch.I suppose he is from the Netherlands.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Guurt 530i
    Hello All, I have an E34 530i '88 and since a few weeks the position of the automatic gear (like 'D' or 'R' etc.) is no longer visible on the LCD display. What might be the cause of this? (the rest of the display seems allright).

I have a used display to exchange with, but with a much higher mileage. Does anyone know how to keep the original mileage with an exchanged display?

Thanx!
    Guurt (Amsterdam)
    You dont say if the new display solved your problem so I can only assume it did. On my '92 525i the mileage is stored in a small chip at the back of the instrument display. The dials were in km when I got the car and as I am in the UK I wanted miles. So I simply got hold of a UK panel and put the front half of that onto the back of my old panel. My speedo now shows mph but the original Km the vehicle covered is correct. Hope that helps

the gear selector switch isnt lined up with the cable that goes to the trans.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

how do u adjust this? my car sometimes get the trans error program and the gear selector will be out. i also notice the little red thingy that covers up the hole isnt always dead on too.

It is a bowden cable which can be adjusted.
    Details can be seen here
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do