GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Good news bad news RE: Clutch

Default Good news bad news RE: Clutch

Good news - I am a wrenching freak - I got the exhaust, heatshields, driveshaft, shift linkage, trans brace, and ultimately the transmission out (my buddy helped let it down) in about 2 hrs - that was with a lot of discussing and making jokes and ********ting.

Bad news - we went to get lunch and came back to do the installation and boy was I pissed the F@#* off when I sat the clutch on the flywheel and IT DID NOT FIT!!!! ClutchNet sent me a 240mm clutch for an M3 dual mass flywheel when I should have received a 228mm clutch for the 310Z with the E36/E34 flywheel. ****. So I have a car 1 hr away on a lift with the trans on the ground awaiting the proper clutch - going to have to wait until Monday to call them and hope they will over night the proper clutch for me. It may take a day or two to make the 228mm since they are custom to order clutches - just really frustrating here. The pressure plate, however, fits a charm on the 228 flywheel. So, it's really just the clutch and although frustrating and inconvenient, **** happens.

So, just glad I got it all apart so fast. Everything looks good otherwise - I put the pilot bearing in, the T/O bearing is lithium greased and on the input shaft... just need a damned clutch disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Good news - I am a wrenching freak - I got the exhaust, heatshields, driveshaft, shift linkage, trans brace, and ultimately the transmission out (my buddy helped let it down) in about 2 hrs - that was with a lot of discussing and making jokes and ********ting.

Bad news - we went to get lunch and came back to do the installation and boy was I pissed the F@#* off when I sat the clutch on the flywheel and IT DID NOT FIT!!!! ClutchNet sent me a 240mm clutch for an M3 dual mass flywheel when I should have received a 228mm clutch for the 310Z with the E36/E34 flywheel. ****. So I have a car 1 hr away on a lift with the trans on the ground awaiting the proper clutch - going to have to wait until Monday to call them and hope they will over night the proper clutch for me. It may take a day or two to make the 228mm since they are custom to order clutches - just really frustrating here. The pressure plate, however, fits a charm on the 228 flywheel. So, it's really just the clutch and although frustrating and inconvenient, **** happens.

So, just glad I got it all apart so fast. Everything looks good otherwise - I put the pilot bearing in, the T/O bearing is lithium greased and on the input shaft... just need a damned clutch disc.
    Shouldn't you double check that you have the right parts before starting a job?

Best,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Rory you haven't been on here since 7-10-06 - now shadddup!

Thanks for advices however.

Rory you haven't been on here since 7-10-06 - now shadddup!

Thanks for advices however.
    ??

Come on, it's not like you drive your car much in the rain anyways lol
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

what a nightmare, hope you get it sorted jon

I know what it is Jon,sometimes life s*cks.Patience man patience.

You might want to use an extreme pressure grease, like a 60-70% molybdenum disulfide on metal to metal contact points like the clutch release lever and especially the splines. If the TO bearing has a plastic sleeve no lube is needed, just the ones make of metal.
    Lithium grease is will not hold up on metal to metal contact areas that need an extreme pressure grease.
    Honda motorcycle dealers sell a good 60% Moly grease that will work good.
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt