GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air compressor oil

Default air compressor oil

do i need something special or will 20w-50 or mobil 1 0w-40 work?

edit: its the piston type
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 01-04-2007 at 06:44 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

nevermind: 20 or 30 weight non-detergent motor oil
    guess ill have to pick some up tomorrow.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

yeah, was going to say. you don't want to use detergent motor oil in an electric motor unless you don't care about the motor. nd30 like you said.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

sorry, how old is the thing? is it aftercooled? is it a big @ss air compressor? are you going to use it in an unheated garage/barn? they sell compressor oil at walmart or home depot, it would depend on what the design of the thing is. amsoil (IIRC) sells various grades of synthetic compressor oil too. really depends on what it is. if its a regular ole, nothing special type thing, consider the generic "compressor" oil from hd or what have you.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

well...the thing is I checked it when I flipped the switch and the motor "buzzed" tried several times but not enough to burn the damn thing up as I should have.

got it off and heres the "new" GE part number: H5KCR49SN2056Y which is the GE motor. I just used the thing 5 minutes earlier then I get the buzz (I went and GOT a buzz).

their talking 209.00 I could buy a lot of umm...crap for that, there is no motor shop in my area. Should I again bite the bullet and just score a new one or cross refence this biatch to something less expensive?

this sux, was adding air to tires to move crap around so the ceiling dudes can work...I just dont get a break.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

what does the motor push/move?
    unkle harbor freight should be able to hook you up with a chinese replacement ifyou have a store near you. i can't imagine that any electric motor would be cheap any way you do it, the thing weighs so much that you can't ship it, you can't buy one off ebay...

naww ebay didnt score, thanks for the harbor freight ID, didnt think of that yet.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

If you want replacement motor. you can look it up at Grainger... however, it is a B to B sell only.

As far as oil is concerned... I put in Mobil 1 oil... 10W30 and man... my compressor really spins fast. Before it has regular oil and depending on how cold... that motor really try hard to turn the compressor. Now it is nothing... boom and it goes.

i like straight 30 weight for compressors (lawn mowers and 2 stroke diesels too for much the same reasons) it's unlikely that it will get hot enough for the multi grade to reach it's thicker viscosity and the detergents/additives package may not be good for the compressor

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    do i need something special or will 20w-50 or mobil 1 0w-40 work?

edit: its the piston type
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast