GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Name that noise!! Windows?

Default Name that noise!! Windows?

I've been having this annoying noise that seems to come from the left rear door/window area when going over small road imperfections. It sounds like the window is rattling against something. The noise seems to go away when I open the window a little bit but it could also be that the extra noise from the open window is making the rattle harder to hear, pretty sure it goes away or at least lessens quite a bit though. I've pulled the door panel and there's nothing obviously loose in there. Someone mentioned something about the nylon guides for the windows being worn?

Anybody have any suggestions??

thanks,

n

Default Try this...

...I had this issue as well and my problem was a loose or worn door hinge. You could actually lift the door while open and feel the play up and down. Once the hinge was replaced the rattle went away. My car is black so I just painted the hinge with some Tremco black paint. The hinge was about $45.00 if I remember correctly.

Hmmm, I've tried to lift the door to see if that was it but it didn't budge. I thought that might be the problem as that door has a very slightly different feel when closing, a little more friction near the close position than the others. I'll try lifting it again but I'm pretty sure this sound is the window banging against something... I think.

This might be a long shot but the sound it makes reminds me of one thing only. Have you ever rented or owned a crappy little 15-17ft boat and cruised across some water with a little chop to it? You know that sound that all the fiberglass and plastic parts on the boat makes when you land each time? It's like that but not as harsh. Brap-bap-bap, Brap-bap-bap. I know.... loooooong shot.
    Last edited by nixter; 01-03-2007 at 04:38 PM.

I've chased an annoying rattle to my sunroof.
    It always seemed to come from the window behind me (I thought) and the kids in the back always said it came from the front.
    E30 318iS & BMW K1200LT

Interesting. I have found that strange noises are often not where they seem. I hade a noise for a couple days which I could have sworn was coming from my glovebox but was in fact my passenger visor not snapped in place, tapping against the recepticle.

I really need to get someone to drive while I sit in back listening.

I'm now 100% certain that my noise goes away when I lower both my front and back driver's side windows about an inch. I'm thinking that the sound is the window rattling against it's guides, parts 5&7

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=51&fg=10

What I can't figure out is why the noise goes away when I lower the windows a tiny bit. I can't figure out from the diagram what part actually supports the weight of the window.

It was the seals after all!

what seals?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy