GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Engine mount replacement

Default Engine mount replacement

Just had the transmission mounts replaced with new "U" joints installed and center support. The engine mounts were checked and were not broken, but I have never replaced them at 172K miles.. .so today I ordered 2 from BMA, and it seems very easy to replace per the Bentley book. I'm just wondering if it can really be that easy. Work on one side, jack up the motor, and replace.. is this hard to do if I can't jack up the car very far? I know I need to get to an underside nut - one on top and one on the bottom. Scale of 1 - 10, is it a 1? or 2? Just wondering if I should plan to pay my local mechanic $30 to do this, or should I save the money and do myself?

Thanks

sc
    scott 4991
    535i, 172K miles

Default Do it yourself

and be thankful it's a L6 not a V8.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default I just finished it minutes ago actually...

I looked on www.e34.net which said it was easy. Turns out it wasn't quite as easy as described, but I probably had it done in less than 1-1/2 hours. The nut on top of the driver's side mount I loosened with a 17mm socket and about 18" worth of extensions with a universal joint at the socket. Both bottom nuts are removed from below. I only did one at a time, but I'd probably recommend loosening all four nuts about 2 turns to begin with. Then pick a side, remove both nuts, and begin jacking under the oil pan. I also put a piece of wood between the jack and the oil pan. All you want to do is lift the engine enough to clear the mount. One other thing, remove the plastic pins that hold the radiator shroud so that it can move with the engine.

The driver's side mount was a pain to get out. You literally just have to keep wiggling to get it out. I ended up taking it out towards the front between the power steering pump and frame rail. Then wiggle the new one back in. Trust me, it can be done but it's frustrating. The passenger side one can be done all from beneath. It's was much easier to replace, taking about a quarter of the time the drivers side did.

I also have the trans mounts to do, but figured I'd wait until I can get the car up on ramps for more clearance. Even so, the new motor mounts really smoothed out the engine vibrations, especially at idle. I was pleasantly suprised. If you have reasonable mechanical skills, you can do it yourself. Just be patient on the drivers side.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Thanks Robert - I have good mechanic's skills but weigh time vs expense. Maybe I'll do the easy one, and let the mechanic I go to do the hard one - as they can lift the car on the rack. I appreciate the advise.

Scott
    scott 4991
    535i, 172K miles

You can make replacement of the driver side mount much easier if you loosen the plastic clamp that holds the transmission cooler lines to the oil pan. That gives enough space to take the mount out. Its only a single nut on the clamp. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    and be thankful it's a L6 not a V8.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

At what intervals should the engine mounts be replaced?
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

the V8 mounts werent that hard. the drivers side is a PITA but its doable.

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    the V8 mounts werent that hard. the drivers side is a PITA but its doable.
    Agreed. Very doable.
    '95 540iA ~212k

Did the engine mounts today - not so bad. I was a little concerned about jacking the car up by the oil pan, but it worked out fine. The old mounts did not seem to bad, but I did notice I had to jack the car up another 1/2 inch or so go get the new mounts in. I did loosen the plastic clamp - which I found broken, and fixed, on the transmission cooler lines, and the drivers side mount came out somewhat easy. It took me longer to fix, and get the cooler hose clamp back in, than change the engine mounts. Glad I did this.

Thanks for the advise.

sc
    scott 4991
    535i, 172K miles