GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF 1,000 mile evaluation in the 5HP30

new540iowner Guest

Default Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF 1,000 mile evaluation in the 5HP30

As you recall, I changed out the tranny fluid and filter a couple months ago and now have 1,000 miles on the Pennzoil MVATF. Now with the fluid fully integrated into all parts on the transmission, I can give you my impressions of the fluid compatibility.

I first decided to change out the OEM fluid after experiencing an occasional hard second to third shift. At the time, I installed an aftermarket (non-Filtran) filter and some Redline D4 ATF. After about a week with the Redline, I had an occasional slip (hard shift) which went away afterwards. At the time, I had the characteristic whining sound coming from the tranny oil pump which, as we all know now, is attributable to the thinner O-ring that comes with the aftermarket tranny filters.

Then after about 4,000 miles on the Redline D4 ATF, I installed a dealer Filtran tranny filter with the thicker O-ring along with about 8 quarts of Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF. The tranny whining sound was eliminated and the car appeared to have cold morning shifts more similar to the OEM fluid (you could feel them but they were not harsh or anything). The Redline fluid by contrast had a very smooth cold morning shift quality.

After 1,000 miles on the Pennzoil MVATF, I am very satisfied with the overall performance of the fluid and would recommend it to anyone with the 5HP30.
    I no longer have any hard shifts like I did with the Redline and OEM fluid but I do have a slight slippage from second to third (like I did with the OEM fluid) which is probably a worn clutch pack that I will need to eventually replace.

Default Sorry if I seem skeptical to you but my motto in a case like this is

"first do no harm" and when i'm fooling around with a 3k replacement cost transmission, I'm not about to take any chances on an unknown fluid based on your experiences... Similar to my thoughts on coolants, I'd rather pay a little extra and use one thats designed for the car I am working on and not have to worry about it. ZF puts a number of cautions on there data sheets regarding using improper fluids and they have me convinced..so on your own car feel free to use whatever you want but I'll stick with the reccomended products. I'm sure my customers will be happy with that too..

Quote Originally Posted by new540iowner
    As you recall, I changed out the tranny fluid and filter a couple months ago and now have 1,000 miles on the Pennzoil MVATF. Now with the fluid fully integrated into all parts on the transmission, I can give you my impressions of the fluid compatibility.

I first decided to change out the OEM fluid after experiencing an occasional hard second to third shift. At the time, I installed an aftermarket (non-Filtran) filter and some Redline D4 ATF. After about a week with the Redline, I had an occasional slip (hard shift) which went away afterwards. At the time, I had the characteristic whining sound coming from the tranny oil pump which, as we all know now, is attributable to the thinner O-ring that comes with the aftermarket tranny filters.

Then after about 4,000 miles on the Redline D4 ATF, I installed a dealer Filtran tranny filter with the thicker O-ring along with about 8 quarts of Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF. The tranny whining sound was eliminated and the car appeared to have cold morning shifts more similar to the OEM fluid (you could feel them but they were not harsh or anything). The Redline fluid by contrast had a very smooth cold morning shift quality.

After 1,000 miles on the Pennzoil MVATF, I am very satisfied with the overall performance of the fluid and would recommend it to anyone with the 5HP30.
    I no longer have any hard shifts like I did with the Redline and OEM fluid but I do have a slight slippage from second to third (like I did with the OEM fluid) which is probably a worn clutch pack that I will need to eventually replace.

completely agree with Bill on this front...for that model trans and in particular deference to how infrequently the trans bath is changed specific to this trans unlike an unsealed ZF 4 HP 22, I would run nothing but the original spec trans fluid.
    On BMW coolant however.....LOL.
    George

Default Don't mean to beat this horse until it falls over dead...

but I'm a bmw coolant convert. I used prestone coolant before and that **** gnaws through the head gasket like termites on wood. I showed a picture of this a while back... this was enough for me to pay a bit more to get the proper coolant. The way I see it, if people here are calling their cars, "sweetheart," "baby," "love," bitch or whatever, then I wouldn't mind splurging a few bucks more to get the proper stuff to give your car LTC. You might get away with prestone but you'd have to change the coolant every 6 months to be on the safe side.

Default I can also under stand George's point regarding coolants however in my case, I

Prefer not to have some customer come to me in 6 months claiming that by my putting xyz brand coolant in his beloved pinto I caused the head gasket to fail and the rings to fail in his all original alusil block vega too...
    Its much easier and safer for me to keep coolant on hand for all the goofy makes there are out there today, Ergo, volvo for volvos, bmw for bmw's mercedes for mercedes, chrysler for dodge, honda for hondas, toyota for toyota...dexcool for etc.... I'm even leaning away from the prestone extended life which is supposed to be dexcool compatible since I'm noticing more leak problems in cars I have put it in.... However the customer with the fine running 73 buick skylark with the mufflers held on with baling wire I will gladly use regular prestone or even autozone brand if thats what he prefers..

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    completely agree with Bill on this front...for that model trans and in particular deference to how infrequently the trans bath is changed specific to this trans unlike an unsealed ZF 4 HP 22, I would run nothing but the original spec trans fluid.
    On BMW coolant however.....LOL.
    George

Take it easy on the Buick Skylark remarks buddy!...

Even I have 2 gallons of BMW coolant here waiting for the waterpump/thermo/cover/hoses change. Also have the proper (in my case dextrom) trans fluid for the filter change along with the proper brake fluid so I can experiment with Brunos self alone bleeder cap. I have no money but when it comes down to basics why wouldnt you spend the extra 5 dollars and get the stuff that is recommended? I figure it will save me a few thousand down the road to skimp on 50 bucks. I have a friend like that, spend 10 dollars in gas to save a dollar on an item...I just dont get that logic.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

new540iowner Guest

Default Just relaying info after 5,000 miles of alternate tranny fluid experience...

If the chemicals are the same, I don't give a rat's #$@ about the label on the container. Kind of like a pair of jeans at Costco versus a pair of Guess jeans at some designer store. They're both jeans, and they both work. One just has the perception of higher quality due to the higher cost and name recognition. For Pennzoil to claim that the fluid is compatible means they must have obtained a sample of the Shell and Esso fluid and determined it's composition. Otherwise, Pennzoil stands to lose a lot of money through potential lawsuits stemming from tranny failures. Anyways, after 5,000 miles on an alternate fluid, I've got no problems.

Similarly, I just installed a pair of DEPO headlights on my car and they look and work great. They're not manufactured by "Hella" but at one-third the price, who cares?

Default I haven't see pennzoils claim on any of their material data sheets that its

compatible with the shell fluid, nor do I see it anywhere on the list of allowable fluids from zf who requests on their website that manufacturers submit for approval on the lists..

Quote Originally Posted by new540iowner
    If the chemicals are the same, I don't give a rat's #$@ about the label on the container. Kind of like a pair of jeans at Costco versus a pair of Guess jeans at some designer store. They're both jeans, and they both work. One just has the perception of higher quality due to the higher cost and name recognition. For Pennzoil to claim that the fluid is compatible means they must have obtained a sample of the Shell and Esso fluid and determined it's composition. Otherwise, Pennzoil stands to lose a lot of money through potential lawsuits stemming from tranny failures. Anyways, after 5,000 miles on an alternate fluid, I've got no problems.

Similarly, I just installed a pair of DEPO headlights on my car and they look and work great. They're not manufactured by "Hella" but at one-third the price, who cares?

new540iowner Guest

Default I've got a Acrobat table with the Pennzoil MVATF listed as compatible with...

the LT71141 (Esso), Dexron III and the Shell LA2634. I can email it to anyone that wants it.

Default Lol, Bill. m=>

Amen to that!! Here in So Cal you see alot of that from people of all walks of life but it is predominantly seen in the poor latino communities and trailer park communities (just an observation but nothing against trailers.) One thing you do see here though is the ultimate load test on small pick up trucks like toyotas... I wish I had a picture to show but there are quite a few pick ups with the added wood on the side panels that are 2 to 3 times higher than the pick up cabin itself loaded with trash, furniture... When you're approaching one of these from a distance on the freeway, you're wondering "what in blazes is that?" Then as you get closer, you begin to encounter trash/furniture remains on the freeway which if you don't dodge it quickly, you wind up running over it and damaging your ride. As you get even closer, you start to realize it's one of these pick up trucks loaded to the brim and tilted from the uneven load that you think it's going to tip over on you as you pass them by. It can be a hwy adventure out here and it can be frustrating too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    However the customer with the fine running 73 buick skylark with the mufflers held on with baling wire I will gladly use regular prestone or even autozone brand if thats what he prefers..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast