GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF 1,000 mile evaluation in the 5HP30

Here

Thats the one you're talking about, its on some other website and the pdf file document is different on that last page than the others. IF you go to the current document on Pennzoils website there is no third page and they don't list what it can be used on except dexron II IIe III mercon etc. Heres the link to the actuall pennzoil page with a date of 2003 instead of 2001 like on the other page... IF the earlier page is actually pennzoil on all 3 pages then I suspect they pulled that third page for a reason?

Quote Originally Posted by new540iowner
    the LT71141 (Esso), Dexron III and the Shell LA2634. I can email it to anyone that wants it.

new540iowner Guest

Default Yup, there was a marketing agreement between ZF, Shell and BMW that...

apparently prohibited Shell from marketing the Multi-Vehicle ATF but not Quaker State and Pennzoil. Apparently BMW didn't want a third-party to come in and take their trannyfluid profits. In Germany however, they can market it and I also have a German .pdf sheet that claims its compatible. I'm not going to get into the company bullsh&t about marketing agreements and this and that. All I can say is that for 5,000 miles it has worked great and Funfer (another tranny fluid convert with a 540) had 30,000 miles on Mobil 1 ATF in his 5HP30 with no problems.

Some people also believe that only BMW coolant will work in your car. I've been using Zerex for the past 10,000 miles with no problems. I'm not trying to convert anyone to the dark side of transmission fluids but just offering an alternative to those people who can do their own research and draw their own conclusions.

well...where I disagree is it isn't worth the risk of trying another fluid for the amount of money involved in "a trans fluid volume you change only once every 100k miles." Different ballgame on the coolant level but an argument can be made and Bill does so often about why not spend a few bucks more on again a fluid volume you change every couple of years. Incidently BMW Blue is Zerex...its no. G48. I too use Zerex but I opt for G-05 which is approved for MB.
    George

new540iowner Guest

Default True. Since my car has 112,000 miles, I'll be changing the tranny fluid...

much more frequently than the recommended 100,000 mile interval. I figure a change every 20-30K should prolong the tranny till 200,000 miles or beyond.

I just want to say "thank you for the tip", we really need alternatives, Somebody said about shell owns penzoil and quaker, if is any agreement shell-bmw brands, maybe not penzoil-bmw. I'll do some changes in my car and let you guys know what happen, per example I did light upgrade like bmwe34.net said and is working and looking great, I did mines with SilverStar, is really different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12