GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: squealing sound at the driveshaft

Default squealing sound at the driveshaft

since I bought my car I get the squealing sound underneath and I hear it from the right, I thought it was the DME cooling fan, but the squealing sound gets louder when I drive a little faster then it remains steady until I go over 70m/h it disappears.

when the car is still cold the squeal seems to happen more often and I think it's in the middle of the car, but I can't seem to identify the sound.

any ideas?

something rubbing the driveshaft? worn engine or trans mounts can change the position and there isnt much room for that kind of stuff.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

well ... that sound was before I replaced the engine and tranny, so when I did that I replaced the mounts for both, but that sound is still there, I was wondering that it might be the center bearing? cuz after the last few rain falls I drove into puddles and that sound it getting a little louder now.

you dont have rain in Dubaiu
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

who told ya?! we have rain and when it does it rains really heavy and takes 5 - 6days to dry the puddles ... last time I drove into 18" of water and I had no choice .. even engine pulleys sound different now ...

I've owned two Audi 4000 quattros. On both of them the driveshaft center bearing went dry and got noisy. It produced kind of a middle pitch, warbling sound -- kind of a wail vs. a growl or a shriek. It seemed to be worst at low speeds and would stop abruptly as I went faster.

I'd have someone drive your car while you sit in the back seat with a mechanic's stethescope or suitable substitute. Once the "music" starts you can trace along the driveshaft hump with your listening gear and confirm the source.

what you described is totally true, I guess I have to check this bearing, cuz if it's a wheels thingy it should change when I turn left or right, but its more noisy when I drive slow. I'll try and spray W40 and see if it goes for a while or something ... Thanks