GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Re: Car trouble again-- stalling/stumbling

Default Re: Car trouble again-- stalling/stumbling

I recently replaced my fuel filters and did my intake gaskets on my car in an attempt to get it running again after it had unstable idle, jumpy and unresponsible throttle and stalling.

The car ran fine after fuel filter change(two weeks ago), but since I had the parts and reason to believe I also had an intake leak I replaced my intake gaskets over the holiday.

Even after all this work and while the car was seemingly running fine, but I've always felt that there's been the slightest hesitation in throttle. Today **** hit the fan, but to to decribe the conditions here are a few details.

Yesterday I drove my car a good bit without problems(roughly 70 miles) but left the car with less than a half tank of gas over night-- it got pretty cold too. It started fine this morning but within 10 minutes I felt the first stumble-- a jerk in throttle, and at stop lights the idle rpm was jumpy and got progressively worse-- where it would frequently stall.

I got to a gas station and filled up, but this didn't help. I got stuck at stop lights where I had a had time getting it started and when I did it would stall immediately or if I touched the throttle. Eventually after a battle I got it home and parked.

My feeling is that there's something screwy with my fuel system- bad tank of gas? someone put some **** in there? or maybe water? What I can tell you is that my car passed emissions last week easily, and only today did the car become undriveable since replacing the fuel filters two weeks ago when it was previously undrivable.

I've bought some drygas and some techron thinking neither will hurt anything. But I'd like to get some feedback here on what you guys think and more importantly how to correct the problem.

Thanks,

Bryan
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

intake gaskets... which ones? please describe.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I did the PCV plate, front and rear intake gaskets as well as the injector gaskets.

I really don't think that the intake is the cause of this problem only because the problem existed before I did the intake gaskets; went away before I did the intake gaskets; was fine after I did the intake gaskets(passed inspection and emissions); and only now appeared like it did before.

Changing the fuel filters two weeks ago had immediate positive impact. The car was undriveable before, but ran seemingly fine after. The current problem is essentially the same as before I changed the fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    I did the PCV plate, front and rear intake gaskets as well as the injector gaskets. Changing the fuel filters two weeks ago had immediate positive impact. The car was undriveable before, but ran seemingly fine after. The current problem is essentially the same as before I changed the fuel filters.
    Look inside the old filter for clues...

How would someone put something in the tank- the flap locks to stop that happening.

Did you use any sealer in the engine?

Has the car sat for a long period of time- especially perhaps with an empty tank?

How old are your O2 and temp sensors?

Checking temp sensors is easy, just measure the exact temperature and their resistance- then post it or consult the Bently or BMW TIS for the readings they should provide.

After that, check the fuel pressure is correct and if OK your spark plug conditions... That's the best I can suggest.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

hmmmm. fuel from uppercumbackwest maybe?

did you get the new knock sensors installed? i think you were pulling the water pump to reach the drivers side two.

I don't think my gas tank flap has been locking shut-- I know on at least one occasion that I've been able to open it when the car has been locked.

The car sat over night before the problem. Before then it sat for three days, but drove more than 70 miles without an issue.

The old filter is gone, but I do remember when I removed it seeing grains of something like sand in the drain pan that collected the fuel. Slight chance that the grit was there before, but I kinda doubt it.

Mangler - yeah, the pipes need to be removed to remove the knock sensors on teh driver side. To do that the water pump needs to come out.