GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter relocation kit

Default Oil filter relocation kit

Hello,
    I am new to this list. I am looking for anyone that has installed Bruno's oil filter relocation kit and can give me their thougts on ease of install, thoughts on the kit in general. I've got the oil canister problem and like the price of the kit over a new canister. TIA

Andrew
    '89 535i 5 spd.

I can vouch for the kit as I was around during its development. Everything Bruno does associated with these cars is first rate. The remote canister kit is no exception.... comprised of only high quality parts manufactured to precise tolerances. The most noteable advantage is the oil bath is captured by a conventional thread-on disposable oil filter cannister therefore there is always an immediate oil supply at start up. There is no check valve to fail over time. Installation is quite simple...one of the easiest jobs you can perform on these cars...would rate it 1 out of 5 wrenchs for removing your old cannister and replacing it with a Racing King remote canister. If you need an oil cannister replacement which is quite common on an aging M-30, this is a very practical and cost effective option.
    HTH,
    George
    90 735iL/149k

Default One footnote George, if you use the right spin on filter it will have

a check valve built into it...I would use a quality filter like the mobil one spin on myself....That way your check valve gets replaced each time your filter does.. Of course with it inverted it should stay full anyway but I don't know about siphon effects so I'd use the ones with a check valve.
    One more note, If i were going to install Bruno's kit, i would probably fabricate some kind of tapered shield out of stainless to go behind it on the fenderwell to direct any oil thats lost when changing filters, that way it would be easy to clean up any that spills on a filter change....

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    I can vouch for the kit as I was around during its development. Everything Bruno does associated with these cars is first rate. The remote canister kit is no exception.... comprised of only high quality parts manufactured to precise tolerances. The most noteable advantage is the oil bath is captured by a conventional thread-on disposable oil filter cannister therefore there is always an immediate oil supply at start up. There is no check valve to fail over time. Installation is quite simple...one of the easiest jobs you can perform on these cars...would rate it 1 out of 5 wrenchs for removing your old cannister and replacing it with a Racing King remote canister. If you need an oil cannister replacement which is quite common on an aging M-30, this is a very practical and cost effective option.
    HTH,
    George
    90 735iL/149k
    Last edited by Bill R.; 04-22-2004 at 12:53 PM.

in fact its always a good idea to use the best grade filter you can find :-) and like you say, some come with a check valve and some do not...actually critical in applications where the cannister is mounted rearward and not down because even horizontally mounted thread-on cannisters can have some drain back without an internal check valve. Not so in this instance because the cannister is hanging therefore aside from minimal siphoning, having a check valve is less critical.
    George

Default I was wondering if you get some siphon action from the weight of the oil up in the

oil galley that feeds into the camshaft spray bar and it would drain down without a check valve in the filter, highest point in system and gravity etc.. even with the filter inverted ....

in fact its always a good idea to use the best grade filter you can find :-) and like you say, some come with a check valve and some do not...actually critical in applications where the cannister is mounted rearward and not down because even horizontally mounted thread-on cannisters can have some drain back without an internal check valve. Not so in this instance because the cannister is hanging therefore aside from minimal siphoning, having a check valve is less critical.
    George

don't believe so...believe capillary effect keeps the oil where it was. Testiment to this is the old hanging M-30 E-28 filter which didn't have a check valve.

Default George, the e28 did have a check valve, as seen here..

don't believe so...believe capillary effect keeps the oil where it was. Testiment to this is the old hanging M-30 E-28 filter which didn't have a check valve.

I'll be darn...I stand corrected. Have to say I am a bit surprised. No question BMW wouldn't have added it if it weren't necessary. Perhaps further support to your original comment about siphoning out the oil as the the oil has no where to go.
    George

Actually the filter goes through a hole that is located behing the headlight. The hole is there to install the Winter package water container.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Default Bill any p/n for filters?

Bill, do you have the p/n or any cars that are using a filter with a check valve inside and is compatible with PH8A?

I had a toyta part #: Landcruiser Large 15600-41010 3.75" 5.45"
    But I am not sure if it has a check valve inside...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jonmar...rt/ofilter.htm

Well I am due for my oil change before the track and I will install one of my new plates on my car instead of the prototype so I will try to take some close up pictures.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast