GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: newbee. bumper removal

Unregistered Guest

Default newbee. bumper removal

hello peeps.

great site here. just purchased an e34 535i love the car. but im having problems removing the bumpers?? where are the bolts??

Default It's pretty simple...

Carefully pry off the middle trim peices, then the trim pieces that wrap around the corners will slide off (after disconnecting the running lights). This exposes the four nuts that hold each bumper in place. Remove them and...viola!

When you replace them be sure you have all the slotted pieces fitted together before yu tighten it all down.
    Mark Hall
    '95 525iA EAT chipped (just one now )
    '98 528iA

Default Welcome aboard - I've got the same car...

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    hello peeps.

great site here. just purchased an e34 535i love the car. but im having problems removing the bumpers?? where are the bolts??
    If you buy a Bently manual, most every question you might have will probably be answered there in one way or another.

For the bumper (from memory - check Bently to be sure...)
    1) pop the side marker lights our of the bumper surrounds. Slide them back and pop out the end, then slide it forward to remove. Or Fwd then back, I'm not 100% sure.
    2) the bumper strips slide forward. Your palms should provide enough force. You'll see how the fit in once you slide them forward, it may take some manipulating but they should slide off without anything breaking. Just take your time and don't force it.
    4) unhook the fog light wire harness and the side marker light harness from the lamps, or else the bumper will still be attached via wires to the car.
    3) there are 17mm nuts in the front. Take these off, and the bumper slides directly forward. Sit on your butt in front and catch it with your legs, or have a friend help. Installation is reverse of removal, of course!

HTH

Robin
    91 535im

Unregistered Guest

My Bentley E34 manual does not say how to remove the left and right rubber guards, to get access to the bumper. It seems as if these snap into place with tabs.

But, how to remove the left and right rubber guards without damaging them?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    My Bentley E34 manual does not say how to remove the left and right rubber guards, to get access to the bumper. It seems as if these snap into place with tabs.

But, how to remove the left and right rubber guards without damaging them?

Thanks!
    If you look in the attached image

at (2) and (3), you can see the bumper trim will slide forward from the sides, and I think inwards toward the middle. They don't snap as much as slide into place. I don't know if you need to remove the center piece - I'm pretty sure you don't.

HTH
    - Robin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Front bumper:

My car has no lamps in the trimming, so I skip on that. The black trimming should slide to the front first, then pull apart. There are tabs going in and back in holes at the bumper, so if you try to pull apart before pushing them forward, you may break them, you will notice that the trimming, at the end towards the front wheels, have some taps going in a hole under the bumper, so first slide the trimming to the front, then pull apart, then pull apart the frontal portion, in the front part, there are only snap in tabs so no side movement is required.

Besides the four 17 mm nuts, you should release the circular fasteners at each side under the trimming, just twist the center part with a flat screwdriver about 90 degrees, it will release the fasteners (no need to remove anything, just twist it).

Besides the fog lamps, remember to release the connector going in the outside temperature probe, just behind the drivers (USA) side bumper plastic door (Actually, if you look close to this plastic door, you will note there is a tiny hole to let the air go trough to the probe.

Do not be alarmed if after putting every thing back together, you get a temperature reading of –37 degrees C, it will be back to normal in a wile.

Unregistered Guest

Default corner bumper guards

So, the right and left bumper guards, shown as parts #2 and #3 on Robin's drawings, slide forward in slots, then pull out?

Being plastic pieces with nearly right corner angles in each, are they flexible enough to slide around the corner?

Or, are they simply pried out?