GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Rant! Shoddy roadwork

Default OT Rant! Shoddy roadwork

I know this rant seems stupid, but after driving a good bit today, and after a few beers tonight, Im pissed. I keep seeing this same scenario in Ga where I live, dont know of other areas. Whenever roadwork is performed (ie resurface, replace a patch, fill pothole etc) it seems the workers have no idea how to smoothly transition the new repair with the old blacktop. The causeway that leads to the island here used to be glass smooth. recently they've decided to repave the whole 7-8 miles. Now theres section-after-section of drop-offs and step-ups which feel like Im tearing the suspension off my poor 5 as I slam down then up each one. WHY is it so difficult to create a smooth ramp or somthing instead of the 2-3 inch shelf that is created when new pavement is encountered? In a lowered car thats a really harsh hit. I know this rant seems unfounded but I hate slamming my suspension over ineven pavement when the idiot doing the roadwork could have taken a few extra minutes to do the job right. I hope someone else feels the same.....anybody? No more beer for me tonight.

-Ben

In Melbourne, Australia where I live there is roadwork jobs done here where the road isn't as smooth as it should be, but 2-3 inches sounds quite excessive.

Have you tried contacting your local authorities/council over there? (not sure if councils exist in GA) If they refuse, try sending them the bill for any suspension/alignment damage that you might encounter in the near future, they might listen after that.

sounds like the way it is up here in michigan. but i might move to the duluth, GA area, i have a few friends down that way, if you dont mind my asking, would you happen to know if theres decent amounts of jobs down there/ cheap rent? dont wanna hijack the thread, so pm me if you want

Oh, no bother. I dont see this thread going too far anyway
    I dont actually live in the ATL area but used to, its a big city so there are surely plenty of jobs available. Mind if I ask what line of work?

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BlueM60
    I know this rant seems stupid, but after driving a good bit today, and after a few beers tonight, I'm pissed. I keep seeing this same scenario in Ga where I live, dont know of other areas. Whenever roadwork is performed (ie resurface, replace a patch, fill pothole etc) it seems the workers have no idea how to smoothly transition the new repair with the old blacktop. The causeway that leads to the island here used to be glass smooth. recently they've decided to repave the whole 7-8 miles. Now theres section-after-section of drop-offs and step-ups which feel like I'm tearing the suspension off my poor 5 as I slam down then up each one. WHY is it so difficult to create a smooth ramp or something instead of the 2-3 inch shelf that is created when new pavement is encountered? In a lowered car thats a really harsh hit. I know this rant seems unfounded but I hate slamming my suspension over ineven pavement when the idiot doing the roadwork could have taken a few extra minutes to do the job right. I hope someone else feels the same.....anybody? No more beer for me tonight.

-Ben
    Make some noise .Find out who's in charge and send letters to THEIR SUPERIORS .Maybe that's your state legislators.Send letters to the editor of your major news papers and TV stations. I live in NH where the roads are conspicuously well maintained. They fix them promptly and well the first time,for the most traveled roads.The back country roads can be rough but there are a lot of them and they are fixing them .Massachusetts,The Gay State ,on the other hand is just like your description of your roads so maybe you could use that as incentive to shame your state into fixing the roads.Tell them they're like Massachusetts and that should light a fire under someone.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Plumbing, most likely.

wish I could get the _uck outta here too! I am a prisoner.
    Quote Originally Posted by indierthanthou
    sounds like the way it is up here in michigan. but i might move to the duluth, GA area, i have a few friends down that way, if you dont mind my asking, would you happen to know if theres decent amounts of jobs down there/ cheap rent? dont wanna hijack the thread, so pm me if you want
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

you are extremely lucky to have any roadwork performed at all. Here in Montreal, the roads are like driving in Beirut - it's huge potholes, cracks, holes, you name it. Lowered cars drive at their own peril and wheels above 18 inchs don't last more than a month.

Yea, I suppose it's not that bad. After reading a few poles, supposedly Ga has the best roads in the country. I havent had any suspension damage yet due to the faulty road repairs, but it still makes my ass pucker when I see a large step-up coming, then feel my poor car slam over top of it.

Hmm, well Im not too involved in the field, but I wouldnt see why youd have any problem. Duluth is a beautiful area, my dad had an office there for a number of years. I think you'll like it.

-Ben

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast