GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: German Vs. German

Default German Vs. German

Hey Peoples,

I finally took delivery of a (2000?) Blaupunkt FunLine Sevilla RDM 168 CD/Tuner. I used to own one in my last car, and know the quality.

I was planning on installing it by myself this weekend (my first... install, not weekend ), but today I was told that I risked blowing up either my HU or my factory amp. Was the factory amp standard issue on all '89 535i's?

I was told (by a reputable car audio installer) that I would have to rewire the speakers, by passing the amp straight to the HU with some passive crossovers. I'm just quoting here, I know almost nothing about what I'm talking about.

At the moment I still have a 15 year old Clarion CD player sitting in there. I'm not exactly sure how the Clarion HU does it...

Anyway, If anyone could give me any info I'd very muchly appreciate it!

Peace,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Sheqel
    Hey Peoples,

I finally took delivery of a (2000?) Blaupunkt FunLine Sevilla RDM 168 CD/Tuner. I used to own one in my last car, and know the quality.

I was planning on installing it by myself this weekend (my first... install, not weekend ), but today I was told that I risked blowing up either my HU or my factory amp. Was the factory amp standard issue on all '89 535i's?

I was told (by a reputable car audio installer) that I would have to rewire the speakers, by passing the amp straight to the HU with some passive crossovers. I'm just quoting here, I know almost nothing about what I'm talking about.

At the moment I still have a 15 year old Clarion CD player sitting in there. I'm not exactly sure how the Clarion HU does it...

Anyway, If anyone could give me any info I'd very muchly appreciate it!

Peace,
    Ben
    You don't HAVE to rewire the speakers. I had used an Alpine CDA-7897 headunti with moderately high output (60w x 4) over the factory lines and into the factory amplifier. It worked fine! However, i switched to an Alpine CVA-1004 head unti (50x4) and for some reason it would go into protection mode when turned on. The reason, as i found, was because of the common-ground speaker system. All i did was wire the head unit up to the positive (+) terminals of the speakers. This was with the factor amp in place. For some reason, the CDA-7897 unit knew how to handle common-ground, but the 1004 did not. Your results may vary. I would recommend trying with JUST the +'s of each speaker connected, if it works, great you know what works... if not, no biggy you won't blow anything. If it doesn't work, then try and hook the -'s up, i don't think you can DESTROY anything, these units have circuits built in to not destroy things. Right now though, I bypassed the factory amp.