GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which exhaust shall it be?

Default Which exhaust shall it be?

Im trying to figure out wheather to get a B&B tri flow or order a Eisenman.
    Both are sepose to be great. Tri flow is cheaper tho.

B&b

Matt had the B&B on his 540/6 and it really didn't sound any louder than my stock one to me. If I'm paying that much I want some grunt to it. I wish I could get an AA G3 for my 540 like I had on my m3.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

I got the eisenmann. They are special order and it takes about 3 months for them to come.

I picked the eisenmann under the 3 bears theory. Supersprint is too soft, tri-flow is too loud, and eisenmann is just right.

It turned out to be a little less loud than I was expecting. The internet sound clips I had heard were on a 540, and it just doesn't sound as throaty on the 535.

I also replaced the resonnator at the same time. I drove away and thought "I just paid $1400 (combined) for this?". Then a couple of hours later I handed it off to a valet parker and went "wow, that's awesome!". So essentially, the car sounds great outside and I never get to hear it driving it. The resonator is amazingly effective.

Knowing what I know now, I would probably go with the tri-flow but only if I was replacing the resonator. I think without doing that, it would be too loud.

At the e34 event in Chicago, you would have an opportunity to hear the different mufflers on 535s and 540s and M5s. If you can hold off til June, you would have an opportunity to know what you would be getting. That is assuming you are in the US and travel is feasible. If not... nevermind.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by brodee
    Matt had the B&B on his 540/6 and it really didn't sound any louder than my stock one to me. If I'm paying that much I want some grunt to it. I wish I could get an AA G3 for my 540 like I had on my m3.
    Your friend didn't have a B&B then - there is NO ****ING WAY that a B&B Triflow sounds anywhere NEAR like a stock exhaust - you would have to be out of your mind if you thought so. Sounds like your friend got a SuperSprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Your friend didn't have a B&B then - there is NO ****ING WAY that a B&B Triflow sounds anywhere NEAR like a stock exhaust
    Agreed.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Do you think that if a get an eisenman for my 530i and completely get rid of the resonator with a straight pipe from the muffler to the cat it will be too lout?

The way B&B puts it, their exhaust when out on my car does get rid of the rsonator and thats what makes it as loud as it is.

My car is a V8 so it should sound kinda nice eather way. I just do not what it to sound like a mustang.

My understanding is that the focus of the resonator is reduction of noise in the passenger cabin. Without it, the interior noise can be irritating and wearing. That is the reason I did not eliminate it.

Here is the thread in which I solicted input into my decision in the same way you are. There is discussion of the resonator that comes from the mouths of people far more knowledgeable than I am and maybe it will help you. It also has the links to the sound clips.

Help me make a ss exhaust decision

Whether it would be too loud sort of depends on how loud you want it to be. I am a female and an accountant. There is a limit on how loud I could go and maintain a professional image.

At Bimmerfest, the was an e34 M5 that had an eisenmann that was straight piped and it was LOUD. But then, it was an M5. These mufflers really sound different on the different engines.

Sorry not to be of more help. It is a very difficult decision to make because it is so subjective and so difficult to get sound information for comparison. It is not an inexpensive mod either, so you want to give it your best shot in deciding. Good luck.

B&B is the way to go. It is a very good sounding exhaust and still quiet enough in the cabin to enjoy the car on 9 hour trips. This is the second B&B Exhaust I have had. The first was on my 99 M Roadster. - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Quote Originally Posted by Johntee540
    B&B is the way to go. It is a very good sounding exhaust and still quiet enough in the cabin to enjoy the car on 9 hour trips. This is the second B&B Exhaust I have had. The first was on my 99 M Roadster. - JT
    How does that strut brace improve your handling? I'd heard hinged braces aren't as effective as those welded solid.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast