GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone out there ever changed an M30 Oil pump?

Default Anyone out there ever changed an M30 Oil pump?

How come its $400 for a new one at BMA?

The parts to rebuild it are almost $200!

Ouw!

Does noone ever change the damn things?

Is there anywhere cheaper...? the Stealer maybe? LOL

This is the list of parts;

OIL PUMP DRIVE CHAIN M30 e34 $16.5
    OIL PUMP CHAIN TENSIONER M30 e34 $14
    OIL PUMP DRIVE SPROCKET M30 e34 $40
    02 ROTOR INNER $39.5
    03 ROTOR,OUTER $23.90
    04 INTERMEDIATE PLATE $2.30
    05 OIL PUMP COVER $69
    M30B35 OIL PAN GASKET $anyone know?
    Last edited by genphreak; 12-29-2006 at 03:21 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

why replace it? They dont wear out unless severely abused with sand in the oil.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

dealer list is $407
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

bma is 340$ plus your shipping, and autohauz doesn't seem to carry it.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

The M30 in my E12 M535i (my other BMW!) has 365,000 Km on it and it's (original!) oil pump is still fine....... My e34 (535) has 281,000 km on her and o/p is still fine also......

Reportably the bottom end of an M30 is bullet proof for 500,000 km!
    I'm in parts at a dealer (the only dealer in W.A!) and we don't even stock the pump parts, chain or even sump gasket for the M30.
    What gives? are you doing a full rebuild or trying to fix another problem?
    BMW parts professional

Previous rides:
    BMW
    E12 M535i (go the dogleg!)
    E28 M535i (MMM M88!)
    E34 535i M

MAZDA:
    RX7 S-IV T04 (440 hp ATW)
    RX7 S-I 13b bridge port
    RX4 13b peripheral port

I replaced the pump in my '87 535is at 200,000 miles. The oil-pressure light stayed on just a bit too long on startup for my taste after the car sat for a couple of days. The new pump fixed the problem and that was about 15,000 miles ago. It's a pretty easy job and I got the pump from Steve Haygood (Automobile Solutions) for $156 in March of 2005, same brand as BMW OE. In my experience the housing is the weak point so rebuilding didn't seem practical considering the cost of a new pump.

the older motors have cheep pumps but they actually have a problem, the releave valve or it's spring craps and you wind up with low pressure, the m30b35 has a good but expensive pump and the filter housing can go to ****, the check valve bleeds oil back into the pan after the engine is shut down a while

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1
    I replaced the pump in my '87 535is at 200,000 miles. The oil-pressure light stayed on just a bit too long on startup for my taste after the car sat for a couple of days. The new pump fixed the problem and that was about 15,000 miles ago. It's a pretty easy job and I got the pump from Steve Haygood (Automobile Solutions) for $156 in March of 2005, same brand as BMW OE. In my experience the housing is the weak point so rebuilding didn't seem practical considering the cost of a new pump.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

probably no correlation but ill get another post point...

when I dismantled, or tried to dismantle the pump on the 850 and the relief valve was stuck from crud. obviously dino oil has a disadvantage as the valve was sticky. perhaps this is common place for engines that dont have synthetic oil. this is about the only thing I can think of that would cause a BMW pump to mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the older motors have cheep pumps but they actually have a problem, the releave valve or it's spring craps and you wind up with low pressure, the m30b35 has a good but expensive pump and the filter housing can go to ****, the check valve bleeds oil back into the pan after the engine is shut down a while
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

i think it was a actual failure on some of the old m30 pumps, i've read about it in many different places

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    probably no correlation but ill get another post point...

when I dismantled, or tried to dismantle the pump on the 850 and the relief valve was stuck from crud. obviously dino oil has a disadvantage as the valve was sticky. perhaps this is common place for engines that dont have synthetic oil. this is about the only thing I can think of that would cause a BMW pump to mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    True, but actually the E28 535i oil pump lists for over $100 more than the pump for the E34 535i. So, regardless of your concept of "cheap", genphreak might want to check with Steve Haygood to see what he sells them for. It might be a whole lot less than BMW, Bav Auto, or even my E28 pump. Since we never heard the symptoms, he may just need the cannister, an obvious design defect compared to the "cheap" E28 system.

I like my M30 in the E28, but I think the M50TU is better in many ways, some of which are related to how it handles modern emission requirements without stumbling around.
    Last edited by BMWCCA1; 12-29-2006 at 11:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast