GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: My intercooled computer...

Default OT: My intercooled computer...

It's actually water cooled, but the heatexchanger is kind of like air to water intercooling, well... water to air intercooling... either or.

I am looking for a small nitrous spray ring to spray CO2 on it just for shits.

Yes, I am bored.

And yes, it does work surprisingly well keeping the processors cool.

the guy i work with built a system that was in the top couple percent fastest (for a couple weeks, but you know how it is) benchmarked pc's around a year or so ago and was using a combo of water cooling and peltier coolers, i gave him the idea of gutting on clearance portable plug in heat/cooling food containers as a cheep source of peltier units, he mounted water blocks to the hot side and got some serious performance (well under ambient and high speed) for not much money, you just need to insulate against condensation when you really chill down a component

ps, most computer nerds don't know dick about a proper functioning liquid to air heat exchanger, one of the biggest problems they trap themselves in is way too much flow, think thermostat
    Last edited by winfred; 12-30-2006 at 12:34 AM.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the guy i work with built a system that was in the top couple percent fastest (for a couple weeks, but you know how it is) benchmarked pc's around a year or so ago and was using a combo of water cooling and peltier coolers, i gave him the idea of gutting on clearance portable plug in heat/cooling food containers as a cheep source of peltier units, he mounted water blocks to the hot side and got some serious performance (well under ambient and high speed) for not much money, you just need to insulate against condensation when you really chill down a component

ps, most computer nerds don't know dick about a proper functioning liquid to air heat exchanger, one of the biggest problems they trap themselves in is way too much flow, think thermostat
    Yeah I am running 1/4" lines and a lot of people are currently running 1/2" and 5/8" lines which has very little time inside the exchanger. I toyed with peltiers years back but the heat they generate is hard to deal with for a full-time use. Like you said, they condense pretty bad and sweat a fair amount - I don't like foaming around the ZIF socket and using the waterproof non-conductive paint...

In highschool we had a class on basic computer engineering (gotta love prep school) and we were given the task of "who could run a Pentium 866 the coolest". My group, at my idea, coated the entire circuit board in non-conductive latex sealant and submerged it in a rubber made bin full of ice water for 35 mins we were only a couple degrees (celcius) over the ambient temperature of the ice water.

I'm with the old Vdub guys for my systems- aircooled all the way.

to get decent cooling they are simply too noisey.

hmmm a bit too bulky for laptops lol