GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How To / DIY: Touring Roof Rack – Thule Tracker 430 with TK2 foot pack

Default How To / DIY: Touring Roof Rack – Thule Tracker 430 with TK2 foot pack

This project took me about a bit more then a 1 hour so it makes for a great lazy Saturday project. Thank you to Hopefully this will help someone else out this is what you’ll need:

Thule 430 Tracker Feet
    TK2 Foot Pack
    Set of Thule Bars
    Qty 8 – 6mm x 20mm Cap Screws

Note: You could use a TK1 foot pack and avoid having to sand them down flat or having to cut up the flats that I did. You’ll still need to modify the flat face to avoid interference from the factory rails. However after watching these on eBay for several weeks the Tracker 430 Feet with TK1 foot packs are averaging $90 to $120 where a Tracker 430 kit with TK2 feet are only $40-$60. So I went with the TK2’s Truthfully I think you could use any of the TK foot packs. Thanks to 530iTouring for helping figure out the differences.

You’ll need a belt sander – nothing fancy but a nice belt sander will make your life much easier. I used a 120 grit Aluminum Oxide belt.

Before Sanding

The feet are a 30% glass fill so the 120 grit cuts them nicely

Take the foot and orientate its back flat against the sander so that the foot is perpendicular to the belt
    1992 525i Touring M50 5spd Manual 230k+ miles - SOLD:-(

Sanding – Keep the foot level as it removes the material

Nice and slow

Sand down until the entire surface is flat – you will need to stop every 10 seconds or so to clean off the extra material which is being removed.

Completely Sanded

Comparison between original and modified

Another View

Next you’ll need to sand off a bit of the center face so the rack will fit squarely to the rail. You’ll only want to sand up to the mold line on the part.

Sanded

Next you’ll need to cut the supplied mounting brackets down to fit the BMW channels

Cut off the threaded face about ½ inch long. The width is fine just cut the piece down small enough to fit inside the mounting hole.

You’ll need some longer cap screws

Install the front end first

Insert the rear flat now

Tighten

Cut and reinstall the rubber seal

Close up of installed Tracker 430 with modified TK2 foot

Finished Rack - Enjoy

Archive in FAQ's.

First rate presentation. Looks exactly like my setup. Best part of this set up is the quick connect feature. Now all you need to do is get new load bars and feet for each setup and hang them all from the ceiling in your garage. Pull under it, crank down, load and go.

I have different bar spacing lengths for the windsurfers, so I cut my rubber inserts to fit my most used load bar set up which for me is the Evo 1600.

Also, those nuts that sit in the rails rust pretty quickly, so some preventative grease or something helps a lot. I also made little plastic protective gaskets for between the top of the rail and the footpack to give the footpack something to dig into when tightening. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN as the footpack will break. No need necessary to ask how I figured that out.

Great write up. This set up is like (what one friend told me after he gave implants to his wife after their third child) ..the gift that keeps on giving.

rack it

Last edited by Elekta; 12-28-2006 at 08:54 AM.

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Excellent write up, thanks.