GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Into and first problems

Default Into and first problems

Hi all,

I'm a new E34 owner in the UK. I bought a 540i 6 speed off eBay this week for quite cheap money.The car has a couple of little details which need fixing,but the main problem is the heater and controls. While there is plenty of heat and the air-con seems to be working ok, right hand side ( drivers side being the UK ) seems to always blow hot onto the screen no mater what heater control settings I select. The other problem is with the fan speed, it only works on position 4. The worst part, which may or may not be related, is the constant 'misting' of the glass. The car had not been used for some time and was kinda damp inside,so I'm hoping this is the rewason why. The car hasn't lost any coolant so I'm not thinking there is a leak of any kind causing the misting.
    Any hints,tips on how to remove the center console and generally what to look for would be great,thanks.

Car is a 1994 UK spec RHD 540i 6 speed manual

The car is a UK spec RHD car with air-con ( not the climate control option )

Welcome..

I would guess that the misting problem is due to a leak in the heater core or the rubber seals. I had the same problem when I bought my car(except it was summer so I didn't notice misting). In my case the coolant would leak out slowly, so it may be that you haven't noticed it yet. Be advised that sometimes the coolant can leak out onto the carpet of the car so keep an eye on this. Do a search, there are many postings on replacing the heater core(I did it in August); its a bitch to get to, and even more of a bitch to remove and install, but certainly doable with patience.

As far as the blower, I suspect that like me your resistor pack is gone. On LHD cars it sits up behind the pedal cluster and is a simple remove and replace. Older E34's had a sword resistor for climate control- not ours.

I can't help you much on the first point of constant heat, although I suspect that some valve that allows coolant into the core for heat is stuck open. Either that or the control isn't working to close it.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

your auxillary heater pump isnt working, default is open. Check the voltage at the pump and if it has 12v you need another pump.

heater pump #15
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...14&hg=64&fg=18
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    your auxillary heater pump isnt working, default is open. Check the voltage at the pump and if it has 12v you need another pump.

heater pump #15
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...14&hg=64&fg=18
    Thanks guys. I'll check the aux pump tomorrow. The car mists pretty much all the time someone is driving and on all the glass. I'm still thinking the car is damp from its long period of outside storage.

As an of topic question , I see Alpina did several E34 based models,one of which was a 4.0L M60 that was making 315 bhp .Anyone know what mods that did to get this ?

Here's a pic of my new purchase. It sure slides pretty well on the wet roundabouts

I'm not sure, but I think that the alpina's m60 is 4.6. I'll try to find the source, and I'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Rough-Diamond
    Thanks guys. I'll check the aux pump tomorrow. The car mists pretty much all the time someone is driving and on all the glass. I'm still thinking the car is damp from its long period of outside storage.

As an of topic question , I see Alpina did several E34 based models,one of which was a 4.0L M60 that was making 315 bhp .Anyone know what mods that did to get this ?

Here's a pic of my new purchase. It sure slides pretty well on the wet roundabouts

jeff meant Heater Valve, not Heater Pump, however he did point to the offending equipment in the diagram. same thing happened to me, i ended up hitting the thing with a wrench about 40 times, and that actually worked!
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by jgardia
    I'm not sure, but I think that the alpina's m60 is 4.6. I'll try to find the source, and I'll post it.
    I read that they did both a M60 4.0L and then a 4.6L M60 B10. Just wondering how they did this with the stock capacity.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Other/Models.htm

Cheers

Great looking car! I agree that the misting is the heater core. Any moisture that had accumulated in there would not take long to evaporate.

You can use the defrost with the AC on and it should clear the misting much quicker.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy