GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Intake gasket question.

Default Intake gasket question.

I'm just about ready to install the intake, but I've got a question on one of the parts that I ordered.

Here is what I got:

13541747475 - ASC only O ring
    11617501562 - PCV plate
    11611747085 - cap
    11611437694 - cap
    11611729727 - front manifold gasket
    11611729728 - rear manifold gasket
    11151736140 - O ring
    11611433328 x 4 - cylindar head gaskets
    11611736648 x 10 - bushings

Look here at RealOEM image

The PCV plate appears to have come with a gasket for the vent pipe to connect to. However, the o-ring linked above(#4 in realoem) is the o-ring for the vent pipe to the PCV plate, and I've just got two of the same thing?

The bitch about all of this is that, there is an o-ring in the front of the vent pipe, and the o-ring I've referred to here is too big for that, which means I'm short one and have to reuse it. I'll check local parts stores tomorrow when I go out for a few odds and ends to finish up the job. If I fall short, fortunately my old o-ring doesn't appear in bad shape- I cleaned it up and the inside of the pipe and will hope for the best.

The o-ring on the vent pipe that I'm short on is #8 in this realoem image
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

dont forget #5 and #5, 2 of them. I didnt replace mine and got lucky...or is that the cause of my CEL codes after replacing the intake gaskets?

Also it has been known that the vally pan gasket can leak air causing faults... which looks like it is unobtanium for your engine. Maybe thats my CEL code.

Hope is good to you this year and gives you a bunch of beer and samwiches. Good luck in all!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    dont forget #5 and #5, 2 of them. I didnt replace mine and got lucky...or is that the cause of my CEL codes after replacing the intake gaskets?

Also it has been known that the vally pan gasket can leak air causing faults... which looks like it is unobtanium for your engine. Maybe thats my CEL code.

Hope is good to you this year and gives you a bunch of beer and samwiches. Good luck in all!

Thanks Jeff,

Damn! I wish I had thought about those when I went to the dealer yesterday. Well I'll see if I can find anything at a local autoshop/hardware store, but I kinda doubt it. I'd like to button it up today so I'll run with it. I haven't seen these o-rings mentioned in any of the other intake threads, so while I'd like to replace them, and will try, I'll hope that I will get lucky like you.

As a side note, the I lost one of the nuts(part #12 on intake manifold) that hold the intake down somewhere in the engine bay. It looks like a somewhat specialized nut, but will anything that size work-- even if temporary?

the valley pan covers coolant on the m60/62, i have one in stock at the shop for a just in case situation, it comes as the whole pan with sealant already squirted on

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

How to replace 2 x #5s? I thought for that the upper timing cover has to be taken off? Is there any other easy way?

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

he probably ment to say 5 and 9 in this pic most people forget about 9 on the front which is usually rock hard

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinewhite
    How to replace 2 x #5s? I thought for that the upper timing cover has to be taken off? Is there any other easy way?

Thanks
    Arun
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Just an update:

Car is back together and running. I finished late last night putting it together after intake and water pump replacement. During this time I also put on some new belts that I've been meaning to install. How tight should these belts be? I tightened them a good bit, I think they are tighter than before.

I'll know when I go to start on a cold morning whether or not the intake gaskets have fixed the problem, but no codes thrown after driving several times today(to heat up and give the system an opportunity to self bleed).

I would like to thank Arun, Winfred, Jeff and Stargazer(for the writeup) in helping me do this job-- which would have been impossible without your input.

I have some pictures and will write up some more detailed comments/thoughts on these two jobs in the near future.

-Bryan