GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me into (or out of) an E34......

Default Talk me into (or out of) an E34......

First post here, nice forum and informative members you’ve got here.

I need some help being talked into (or out of) an E34. Here’s the situation: my wife and I are having our first child next year. Her mother has offered to be our nanny as we both have full time jobs. Problem is that the in-laws live 70 miles away. My father-in-law doesn’t want my mother-in-law racking up the miles on their late model 4Runner, so we need to provide her a car. I figure that I’ll end up driving (as a second vehicle) whatever car we buy for her in several years once our child is in school. The drive is probably 15 miles small country roads, 15 miles of 35-45mph roads with some stoplights and the remainder interstate miles. She’ll probably put 90,000 miles on the vehicle over 3 years. So….

The “logical” choice is to buy her a mid-late 90’s Camry or Accord.

But, I’m a car nut and boring cars don’t appeal to me. I’ve done quite a bit of research and have narrowed the E34 choice down to one of the sixes, for ease of maintenance and fuel economy. A ’94 or ’95 525i would be my top choice, preferably with under 100K miles, under 80K would be even better. MIL wants a slushbox, so I’ll have to make that concession even though I’d never buy a slushbox vehicle for myself.

I’m a very good hack mechanic, so the car would never be touched by anyone but me.

How do the E34 slushboxes hold up after 100K miles? How about when they are pushing 200K? Will it need a service/rebuild? That’s one thing I may not be able to accomplish myself.

I’ve been a BMW fan since my parents bought a ’92 E36 325is (silver/black, 5spd, LSD (sports package I think), 6-spoke (style 10) wheels, sunroof) new in 1992. My mother, sister and I flew to Munich (from England, now live in the USA) and picked the Bimmer up from the factory. I personally drove it through 7 countries over 5 days across Europe. The coupe is still running strong @ 175K miles.

I’ve read the “What goes wrong”, “What to look for in an E34”, etc already. I guess I’m wondering how much maintenance it’s going to likely require. Not that I can’t perform or afford the maintenance, I just don’t want the MIL hacked off at me if the car I get her always needs me to fix something on it.

Am I out of my mind for even considering getting her an E34?

Thanks,

Mike

Default I'd go E34

since you seem to plan on maintaning the car yourself, it shouldn't be too bad of a deal.

Just remember your Mother-in-law is driving it, so keep up on the maintenace or you'll be on the couch.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default It's a good reliable car, but...

there's always something that can go wrong.

We own a '95 525i, the most trouble-free (I suppose) of the bunch. However:

Cooling system refreshes every 60k miles are almost mandatory.
    Brakes are good for 50k miles.
    Suspension rebuilds every 100k.
    Our transmission has had services at 30, 60, 90, and 140k miles. No issues yet (knock wood).
    Good, crashworthy cars.
    Fuel economy can be good with a light foot (24 city, 32 highway is what we get)
    Can be picked up for $2000-$6000 depending on year, condition, and how proud of it the owner is
    Bill B.
    95 525i

I’m on my 2nd E34. First was a 1988 525SEI Manual 142,000 miles, very soled car. Needed new head gasket after coolant wasn’t bleed properly and I replaced the shot dampers apart from that it was perfect and never once let me down. So much so that after 4 years I (graduated) upgrade to my current 540 6 speed 192.000 miles. still feels like new and is an absolute joy to drive, no problems so far but I have replaced most of the rubbers just to tighten things up during spirited driving.

I’ve just got back from a 4 day trip to Dublin Island (from London) were I hired a Ford Mondeo 2.2TDCI Estate Titanium. to do a job for my dads company.

Bering in mind this is a brand new 2006 virtually flagship Ford. I cant believe how disappointed and underwhelmed I was with the experience. Ok so it’s got a couple of new toys MP3, cup holder, no… that’s about it! But the driving experience was just lacking, it was nosey, unrefined and the tork steer, through the steering wheel all over the place. Safe I'm sure but just down right annoying!

I came away understanding why ive grown to love BMW so much. The ford simply hasn’t moved on much further than my first ever car a 1983 £100 Serria Ghia. And has yet to catch up with a 10 year old Bimmer.

Still is was comfrey than a transit and nicer to drive than the step moms Grand Cherokee!

If you can find a better car in this price bracket then buy that. I couldn’t!

well.. the e34 is simply the best car ever made.. nuff said
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Quote Originally Posted by beady
    I just don’t want the MIL hacked off at me if the car I get her always needs me to fix something on it.

Am I out of my mind for even considering getting her an E34?
    If it was for your own use, I'd say go for it. But if the daily driver isn't in love with the car, she is not going to be thrilled when small things keep showing up. I always have little things I'm fixing. BMWs are high maintenance, and I won't deny it. Additionally, I know there are all of like 2 on this forum, but I personally have never met a woman who likes her E34. Generally speaking, it's a guy's car.
    _

Default My wife loves her E34

as long as I keep fixing it...

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

My experiences with my 535i E34...
    The front suspension is the most infuriating and frustrating part of this car!!If I sell it,this would be the reason!
    I enjoy the advanced electrical system WITH its reliability..Ive never had something electrical go wrong that could not be sorted quickly and relativity cheap..
    Its heavy on fuel,but the car as a whole is worth it.

Just that friggin front end!!

Since i have had my car i have had new thrust arm bushes installed,and have had no real problems since with the front end.I have a few little electrical problems and some isues related to the distributor cap on my M30.Other than that no problems.However we are talking about old cars....make sure you get one that has been much loved.I am sure they are the best long term prospects.They will go forever but in the meantime need more input than the Honda and Toyota
    Gone but not forgotten

honestly... you are talking about buying a car, and spending money on petrol and insurance for this car...

How much is daycare where you are at? If it is less than $600 a month you are better off with daycare.

If I read you right you are talking about 140 miles a Day, assuming your MIL is caring for the child at your house and not taking it home to heres and then back again.

LEt's be realisitic, you might get 30, you might get 20. Be a pessimist. Figure 20 and $3 a gallon gas.

that's 21 dollars a day, just in gas. That's 105 a five day week. I'm sure you can find a very good daycare for that much a week... and do you really want your MIL raising YOUR kid? I assure you that you do not. This is inviting a third person into your marriage essentially.

pardon my french but F- that. You are making no sense unless you are being henpecked into it. Women don't have a monopoly on the child care gene and you have the right to say, "that would be great, but its just too expensive and inconvenient for everyone. grandmothers should spoil their grandkids occasionally, not be saddled by them daily." It's a nice out.
    You also have to think about the possibilty that your MIL might wake up sick one morning. A daycare will have a substitute, you would not.

And whatever you do, don't get her an e34.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 12-23-2006 at 09:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast