GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: Should i drive the car tomorrow or not?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, your compnay can do without you

2 11.11%
  • Yes, you're made of money,get a new flywheel too!

4 22.22%
  • If it just started slipping today you should be ok for ONE more day.

12 66.67%
  • Who is Winfred?

8 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should i Drive it or park it?

Default Should i Drive it or park it?

I guess i sacrificed my Clutch to my stupidity tonight trying to race a Vette.It was a newer model and merging with a highway around a long hard curve i overtook him.The highway with which you merge is at an incline and as i went thru the gears flooring it it slipped bad in 5th and 6th and i bailed.As i continued to drive at normal speeds it slipped a few more times as i tried to gain speed a few other times and i finally took it easy.I read that archived thread about driving with a slipping clutch damaging the Flywheel and of course i'd like to avoid unneccesary expenditures but i really need to drive the car tomorrow and while i can take it easy its still a concern .I checked UUC's site and see no options at all for the e34 540/6 and while I'll call them tomorrow to see, are there any recommendations for the best Kit to get as replacement ?
    Last edited by Jehu; 12-21-2006 at 07:37 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Default If it's toasted

Then a day or two of gentle driving (no Vette racing) won't make it any worse.

You need a home equity loan at the rate you're going with this car.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

It was a $60,000.00 car when new just 11 years ago,right? I've got about $12,000 into it so far including the original price so relative to the overall market I'm right about at the norm from what i can see,looking at the bright side of course.I did find out the two front wheels are NOT bent today.The front Tires are worn irregularly though..I didn't get any thing with the car at purchase which would lead me to conclude the Clutch had ever been replaced so i guess this is to be expected and again on the bright side i can look forward to even better performance when its done.

I'll trade you transmissions
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Sell it and get a Vette, it's obviously faster.

I raced a vette http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ighlight=vette
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster
    Sell it and get a Vette, it's obviously faster.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yea,i have to modify my opinion on them. This thing was hugging the road as it took the on ramp curve at 50 and i was wondering if i was gonna roll it.He did fly up behind me like it was nothing and that's when the clutch slipped.I signaled my lane change and bowed out but he didn't storm on by as i expected he just faded back into traffic and never actually passed me till i got off a few exits up..

I suppose i've been paying right about what i'd pay to lease a new BMW and let me say a coworker has a newer 3 series and let it suffice to say i'd take my old frumpy strumpet over a new BMW any day.

Now,is the Sachs kit the right way to go? I like the idea of the heavy duty proprietary stuff UUC offers but if the E39 equipment won't work with the E34 i guess i'm shut out.I'd spend more if i'd be able to drive it a little more carelessly,a little more agressively and still get decent life out of it.
    Last edited by Jehu; 12-21-2006 at 10:33 PM.

the stock clutch in these cars does seem to suffer a short life compared with "lesser" e 34s.Is the 540 clutch the same as an M5? perhaps that may be an option.Whayever you do get it from BMA or similarr.Dont do any hard starts and it should last forever!
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    the stock clutch in these cars does seem to suffer a short life compared with "lesser" e 34s.Is the 540 clutch the same as an M5? perhaps that may be an option.Whayever you do get it from BMA or similarr.Dont do any hard starts and it should last forever!
    I just called the Independent BMW specialty shop who quoted me about $1,100.00 for the clutch job and said he orders the part from BMW,original factory. He has said he would install parts i supply and when i asked him if he uses a Sachs Kit he said ,no it'll be a factory part and said look at how many miles this one got,153,000.Now I suppose Sachs may actually make the "Factory BMW" clutch kit under the BMW brand but even so the complete Sachs Kit from Bavarian Auto is $689.95 so with his quote in mind and knowing they jack up their labor rate if i supply the parts I may be saving money this way and i have to think i probably won't own the car for another 150,000 miles but i have till next Thursday before he can do it anyway so I'll be weighing my options till then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I just called the Independent BMW specialty shop who quoted me about $1,100.00 for the clutch job and said he orders the part from BMW,original factory. He has said he would install parts i supply and when i asked him if he uses a Sachs Kit he said ,no it'll be a factory part and said look at how many miles this one got,153,000.Now I suppose Sachs may actually make the "Factory BMW" clutch kit under the BMW brand but even so the complete Sachs Kit from Bavarian Auto is $689.95 so with his quote in mind and knowing they jack up their labor rate if i supply the parts I may be saving money this way and i have to think i probably won't own the car for another 150,000 miles but i have till next Thursday before he can do it anyway so I'll be weighing my options till then.
    How do you know if your current clutch is the original one? your car may have gone through 10 clutches for all you know...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast