GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M50 warm up time

Default M50 warm up time

Hi Folks,

My 525i seems to take a long time to reach operating temperature. I do drive it gently from cold, not going over say 2500rpm for about the first 10 mins, but it still seems to take forever to get warm.

If I drive around town in say 10C it takes 10 mins before the water temp is at halfway on the guage. I was wondering if it takes other M50 engines a while, or maybe my thermostat is stuck open?

The heating isn't that great unless I've been travelling at some decent speeds and the engines had a chance to work a bit.

1991 BMW 525i sport manual, BBTB, Mintex Extreme Pads, Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs,Viper2 chip, //M5 Replica.

Mine is the same way, takes a while to warm up. You can be sure the thermostat isn't stuck by taking it on the highway. If the temperature drops off, that's your sign. It does take longer with the colder weather these days, as it is 1C/34F. I'm not going anywhere there are about 2 feet/.6M of snow!!

Default I had this

It was the Thermostat.

The car would take forever to warm up, and on a downhill run it would cool down to 11:00 O'clock.

Changed the thermostat & now it warms up fast and I get better gas milage too.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Well damn, thought it was just the cold weather. Question, i see an 88c and a 92c thermostat. Not a huge temp difference here, but which one should I run?

Default Good question

realoem lists both, but little clue as to the application.

I had an 92, and replaced it with an 88. still runs at 12 O'clock.

Watchout the local shop wanted to sell me a 75...too cold

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    It was the Thermostat.

The car would take forever to warm up, and on a downhill run it would cool down to 11:00 O'clock.

Changed the thermostat & now it warms up fast and I get better gas milage too.
    Ah mine does that cooling on a downhill run as well, I always thought it unusual as no other car I've had has done it.

I'll definately be looking into changing the thermostat then, I guess I should test it. Haven't looked where it is on the M50, hope it isn't hard to get to and change.

1991 BMW 525i sport manual, BBTB, Mintex Extreme Pads, Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs,Viper2 chip, //M5 Replica.

Default So, what's too fast or too slow?

Mine takes about ten minutes and I don't really pamper it that much because I'm usually on the freeway in five minutes. That makes it hard to keep it at less than 2500 RPM till halfway mark is achieved.
    In normal conditions with a functioning thermostat: What's the warm-up time?
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

It's been a while since I had an M50 but when I had a duff thermostat on the M50 it used to take about 10 minutes or more to warm up; with a new thermostat I think it dropped to about 5 minutes.

its less....by 3 minutes the heater should be starting to pump out some heat and the gauge should be coming up to center at 5 minutes
    Gone but not forgotten

Default Get the metal Tstat housing too

that plastic thing worries me.....sooner or later it will go and fry the motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast