GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need info on 633 CSI 1982

Default Need info on 633 CSI 1982

I'm planning to buy a 1982 633CSI. Just wanted to find out if anybody has one. There noise that sound like a problem clutch bearing release (ratling when the clutch is depressed).
    How hard is it to find parts for this car?
    The milage is 178K, the body is straight and no signs of oil leaks.
    Any comments are welcome.

All clutch bearing noises I have heard are chatter when the clutch is NOT depressed, like if the car is sitting in neutral it rattles. Clutch in the noise should go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    All clutch bearing noises I have heard are chatter when the clutch is NOT depressed, like if the car is sitting in neutral it rattles. Clutch in the noise should go away.

So far this one is when the gear is on neutral and the clutch is not depressed there is no noise, but when I press on the clutch then the chatter or grinding noise happens.
    Is it worth it for $800.00?

Depends on what sort of resources you have - I have no idea whether thats a slave cylinder or clutch fork or simply a clutch problem - couldn't tell you. If you can afford to keep the car around (space wise) and don't mind throwing time at it, then $800 would have that car in my driveway ASAP.

Depends on what sort of resources you have - I have no idea whether thats a slave cylinder or clutch fork or simply a clutch problem - couldn't tell you. If you can afford to keep the car around (space wise) and don't mind throwing time at it, then $800 would have that car in my driveway ASAP.
    Thanks Jon...You made my day....

I've got an '83.

Check the distributor rotor. If it has an old friction-fit rotor, it has the old-style ignition system. If it has the rotor held on with screws, the ignition is the later (better) system.

This is a watershed year for the 6 series. IIRC, 1982 was the first year with the E28-based chassis vs. the older E12. Engine/drivetrain parts should be easy to get by and large because they're shared with the E28 5 series. Body/trim parts are a different story. The rear parcel shelf speaker pods and rear bumper corner trim are common trouble spots, above and beyond paint and corrosion

There are some serious car buffs feeding wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_6_Series

If you're looking for support from other enthusiasts, I like the Big Coupe Groupe.
    http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/

The front fenders seem to rust out a lot, and in surprisingly high, horizontal places. Otherwise the usual E28 check points apply.

Not sure what you expect for $800. I wouldn't expect much. Does it run/drive? Can you get it registered for street use? It's probably a good deal.

Sorry--this is exactly opposite of what the bearing will do when bad. The rotation of the engine is transfered to the bearing from the transmission when depressed. If you hear chatter/growling/rattling noises with the clutch released it's coming from the transmission because the bearing is not in use. If you hear them only when the clutch is depressed, it's the bearing.

A 633 should be a great car. As stated most of the components (aside from the obvious body parts) are shared with the 5. One thing to watch is the Motronic module on these cars. They have a very nasty habit of quitting at very random intervals--often associated with higher outside temps. VERY frustrating & hard to diagnose--it could very easily be an intermittent sensor.

Good luck.
    Last edited by tdgard; 12-21-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Melmaan
    Thanks Jon...You made my day....
    The car runs and the last time I looked at it I did not drove it due to the small leak of gasoline. I made an honorable agreement with the owner that I will buy it after Xmas.
    I also bought a front spoiler from Ebay for .99 Brit Lbs.
    I will bave to post another question about coil springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard
    I've got an '83.

Check the distributor rotor. If it has an old friction-fit rotor, it has the old-style ignition system. If it has the rotor held on with screws, the ignition is the later (better) system.

This is a watershed year for the 6 series. IIRC, 1982 was the first year with the E28-based chassis vs. the older E12. Engine/drivetrain parts should be easy to get by and large because they're shared with the E28 5 series. Body/trim parts are a different story. The rear parcel shelf speaker pods and rear bumper corner trim are common trouble spots, above and beyond paint and corrosion

There are some serious car buffs feeding wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_6_Series

If you're looking for support from other enthusiasts, I like the Big Coupe Groupe.
    http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/

The front fenders seem to rust out a lot, and in surprisingly high, horizontal places. Otherwise the usual E28 check points apply.

Not sure what you expect for $800. I wouldn't expect much. Does it run/drive? Can you get it registered for street use? It's probably a good deal.

Thank you for the info... I will explore more.