GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please watch my video & please help me with suddenly noisey v8 engine

Default Please watch my video & please help me with suddenly noisey v8 engine

Thanks in advance for all the advice. I havew read many, many threads after doing a search and found many good possibilities for my m60 engine being noisey suddenly and wanted to provide a sample of the symptoms with a video of the actual engine sound. The video is on youtube.com and here is the link...It's has the sound and where the video was taken during that sound heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m54s5SmC25k

The problem is I have lost power and idles rough always in the past day now and I have no fault codes per the CEL or FCX and the engine ticking, chattering is worrying me and I don't want to drive it at all since the engine noise it proportional to engine speed but no power in and gear(It's an Auto).

Here's the background of the 95 530i that I've had approx. 1 year. When I purchased it it had a rebuilt engine installed with less than 100 miles on it and ran good but I did not run it hard for 1500 miles to let the engine run-in. Over the past year, it has had intermittent rough idle and the CEL ON with the O2 Sensor code on Pass-side which I checked and okay but replaced anyway since the code re-appeared after reset. The O2 code continued to show on the CEL and I switched the (2) O2 sensors and the CEL continued to show the pass-side O2 sensor, so figured it was some kinda vacuum leak on that side of the engine. In the meantime, I've replaced the plugs(both Bosch platinum+4 and NGK's), coil packs, ICV and ECU and reset the electrical system by the batt terminal shorting method and been getting along with the intermittant rough idle at times ove the year but now it's too severe to continue driving and nothing is improving it yet. At different times of the year, in NC, it has exhibited a power loss problem(where the car revs but not much power to the wheels) but never this severe and never with the engine noise like this.

During the plug replacements I have noticed the 2 rear plugs, closet to the firewall, wet with oil each time(about 4 times I've checked checked them). Early on I would clean the plugs and re-install and it ran smoother so I thought I would research the problem and repair when time permitted(by replacing the valve cover gaskets).

sounds like a sticking valve or lifter.

Default Good info. And another symptom...

When I noticed this power loss and noisey engine I drove it for about 10 more miles to get where I was going and parked the car, then when I came back out to the car a hour later I noticed a puddle of oil under the car(about 1/4 quart) and this concerned me even more. I checked the oil level and within 1/2 quart of full mark and not oil level or press light when started so I drove it anothe 10 miles home and parked it since.

Does this indicate the sticking valve(s) problem?

have u put oil in it? that ticking WILL be caused by low oil. Any car should tick that loud when its first started and should go away within a few seconds of being started. You need to fix this oil leak first and then go onto bigger and better things. 1/4 of a quart is a lot of oil to lose in a short period of time. Perhaps your PCV plate is also plugged and need of replacing. If this is clogged it will push oil past perfectly good seals. from what I have read from others is that re-sealing the tops of these M60s can work wonders and the parts arent hideously expensive either. I plan on doing this in the spring since my idle is kinda lumpy when cold and I do get some funky dash lights once in a while. Luckily my buddy is a BMW tech and he has done a lot of these M60 intake manifold, valley pan gaskets so ill prtobly buy him a case of beer just to do it for me.

Default Yeap oil is topped up and I agree about startup ticking...

I am seriously considering the PCV plate as I know the rebuild did not include that repair and it is a known problem for many idle/CEL problems. Any suggestions on what else to replace while having all that intake protion dis-assembled(does your BMW Tech have a suggested list). In preperation, I checked on the PCV plate and found the dealer had it for $42 w/ club discount and I may do it anyway to eliminate that as a problem for any future symptoms. Any parts listing would be helpful though or is there a kit?

Thanks for all the info. and if you think of anything else or maybe your BMW tech may check-out the video and comment.

You're lucky to have a BMW buddy...taht's where this firum is so useful.

Default I have no blow-by or exhaust smoke at all so should I ...

If the PCV is clogged or a sticky/stuck valve wouldn't I see smoke sometimes?

.... you ever yank the oil pan to check out your oil pump?
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Default Nope, the car had a new oil pump about 1 yr ago but..

Do you think the bolts could be loose since then as some of the other threads suggest about a noise like this?

Would a oil press light indicate this problem?

my oppinion without reading too deep into the replies:

pull the lower oil pan and check the oil pump bolts and adjust the tensioner. then evaluate what oil you ar using. Mobil 1 0w-40 is the way to go especially if catastrophic things like this happen.

you dont have banjo bolts but the pump will unloosen it self.

that being said

personally it sounds like a miss, could be caused by many things but probably oil in the hole. check it again man, oil in the hole can waste your DME.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 12-21-2006 at 07:36 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

how do u feel about castrol syntec 5w-40/50 for these cars?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast