GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 5 quarts to do ATF change on '93 525i?????

Default 4.75 quarts to do ATF change on '93 525i?????

A brief, but IMPORTANT, history of my car:
    I bought it with a slight, but noticable, rear tranny output shaft seal leak.
    How long was it doing that is anyone's guess.
    From the amount of repairs I've had to do to this car, I'd say it's been EONS since the fluid was changed/level checked.
    While my indy replaced the guibo, he replaced the output shaft seal.

Today, I did the fluid change in my A4S 310R.
    Why today?
    I just finished the BIG cooling system repair and saw the fluid not pretty upon disconnecting the tranny cooler lines....time for a change.

The Bentley says "3.2 quarts for fluid change".
    Well, taking into consideration that mine has been leaking for an unknown period of time:
    MAYBE MY CAR HAS BEEN LOW ALL THIS TIME??
    Worthy of noting: I've not had any symptoms of low fluid.

1. I put in 3.2 quarts after changing the filter and cleaning the pans.
    2. I did the level check once with the tranny warm to the touch from idling (forever, I might add) and added the remaining .8 quart....still not up to the hole.
    3. I then took it for a drive (5 miles round trip) to make sure the fluid was 100% circulated. It performed EXCELLENT, I might add. Upon returning from that drive, it was definitely warmer, I checked the level and it took another 3/4 qt. to get it to slowly ooze from the fill hole.

I'm a bit baffled here, folks.
    The change was a bit time-consuming but went VERY well overall.
    4.75 quarts, though?????

If the tranny was 1.5-2 quarts low to start with, it WOULD take more than normal to re-fill.

Thanks for any input.
    Sorry so long but I hope I covered everything.

Unregistered Guest

Default What was your method?

I can't make any comment on the amount of fluid it took to top off your trans, but I am interested in how you put the fluid in. I am thinking of doing a fluid change on my 95 525iA. I am seriously leaning toward Red Line ATF. Did you purchase a pump bottle of some kind? It's always helpful to pick up a tip or two from some one who has already done the job.

Erich

Default Those trannies hold something like 9 or 10 quarts total--

the 3.2 qt fluid change expectation is based on a) a full tranny and b) a 'quick' pan-drop/filter-swap change. Simply letting the tranny sit there with the pans off for a while will let more fluid bleed out. Not sure if it's possible on this car, but some trannies allow you to get in and drain the converter as well. This one may just dribble over time?

So don't be alarmed by the extra fluid for the refill, it just means you've got cleaner fluid than you expected.

i find that for every 1/2 hour extra that i let the tranny drain out of the plug, i have to put in .4 or .5 Litre more fluid.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default I bought a little pump from Advance: around $6.....

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I can't make any comment on the amount of fluid it took to top off your trans, but I am interested in how you put the fluid in. I am thinking of doing a fluid change on my 95 525iA. I am seriously leaning toward Red Line ATF. Did you purchase a pump bottle of some kind? It's always helpful to pick up a tip or two from some one who has already done the job.

Erich
    Hey Erich.
    The pump is for gallon jugs, though.
    I just used a CLEAN coffee can, poured in my tranny fluid in it and pumped from there right into the fill hole.
    GET THE BETTER PUMP WITH THE CLIPS AT THE DISCHARGE END!!
    It is awesome.
    You just clip it into the hole and start pumping away.
    No need to hold the nipple in the fill hole.
    AND...it comes with a LONG hose to where you can pump from the rocker area, rather than right next to the pan.

Default I let mine drain for a GOOD hour.....

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    i find that for every 1/2 hour extra that i let the tranny drain out of the plug, i have to put in .4 or .5 Litre more fluid.
    AND..the car was on jacks at the front jacking points so the tranny was a bit "tail down".

Default Any input, Bill R.?

Quote Originally Posted by MO525
    A brief, but IMPORTANT, history of my car:
    I bought it with a slight, but noticable, rear tranny output shaft seal leak.
    How long was it doing that is anyone's guess.
    From the amount of repairs I've had to do to this car, I'd say it's been EONS since the fluid was changed/level checked.
    While my indy replaced the guibo, he replaced the output shaft seal.

Today, I did the fluid change in my A4S 310R.
    Why today?
    I just finished the BIG cooling system repair and saw the fluid not pretty upon disconnecting the tranny cooler lines....time for a change.

The Bentley says "3.2 quarts for fluid change".
    Well, taking into consideration that mine has been leaking for an unknown period of time:
    MAYBE MY CAR HAS BEEN LOW ALL THIS TIME??
    Worthy of noting: I've not had any symptoms of low fluid.

1. I put in 3.2 quarts after changing the filter and cleaning the pans.
    2. I did the level check once with the tranny warm to the touch from idling (forever, I might add) and added the remaining .8 quart....still not up to the hole.
    3. I then took it for a drive (5 miles round trip) to make sure the fluid was 100% circulated. It performed EXCELLENT, I might add. Upon returning from that drive, it was definitely warmer, I checked the level and it took another 3/4 qt. to get it to slowly ooze from the fill hole.

I'm a bit baffled here, folks.
    The change was a bit time-consuming but went VERY well overall.
    4.75 quarts, though?????

If the tranny was 1.5-2 quarts low to start with, it WOULD take more than normal to re-fill.

Thanks for any input.
    Sorry so long but I hope I covered everything.