GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need to take care of my Car in Cary, NC

Default Need to take care of my Car in Cary, NC

Hi All,
    I am new here. I own a 95 5 series (525i 5spd). I just moved to Cary,NC. I need some help.

1. Should I keep the car with 170K miles on it. How much more can I expect out of it? Whats a good price to sell this car for?

2. If I keep it who should I get it serviced by. I don't know much about maintenance.
    It needs some suspension work and looks like it will cost around 1000$ to get it back in shape.

Thanks!
    I personally would like to keep it if it does not end up costing a lot to maintain.

It's impossible to say what the car is worth- I'd say ~$1500-5000.

The car will last a LONG time if you take care of it, don't allow the engine to overheat or run out of oil and the engine will last virtually forever.

There are several good shops in the area- but be prepared to pay $$ for maintenance- still cheaper than a new car payment IMHO.

Shadetree Garage in North Raleigh has a very good track record- they are busy but worth the wait IMHO. Renaissance Auto is in Cary and I think they are pretty good too.

What sort of suspension work does the car need??

Without knowing more about the car, I would say you should keep it, but that's me.

Welcome to the board and to NC.

Bret

Default ...which brings up a good point...it's time for a winter gathering!

We need to all get together real soon, maybe a karting event at Rush Hour in Garner? Maybe a meet and greet in the parking lot prior to?

sfalcon, there are quite a few of us E34 guys around the Cary/Apex/Raleigh/Clayton area, and we'd all be happy to help out. I took my E34 to First Class Automotive in North Raleigh to have the suspension redone at 100k miles. I'm at 140k now, and would probably do it myself if I had it to do over again, but I didn't know as much about the car then.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Without knowing anything about your car, I would say find yourself a copy of the Bentley service manual (ebay has them for cheap) and read about the suspension. The rear of my car scrapped going through driveways, and I replaced the rear springs myself. It was my first real "do-it-yourself" project. Not too complicated, even though I was a complete novice.

If nothing else, you'll be aware of what's involved once the garage tells you what they think needs to be done.

My car is about to pass 200K miles, and still runs great.

Good luck!

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by sfalcon
    Hi All,
    I am new here. I own a 95 5 series (525i 5spd). I just moved to Cary,NC. I need some help.

1. Should I keep the car with 170K miles on it. How much more can I expect out of it? Whats a good price to sell this car for?

2. If I keep it who should I get it serviced by. I don't know much about maintenance.
    It needs some suspension work and looks like it will cost around 1000$ to get it back in shape.

Thanks!
    I personally would like to keep it if it does not end up costing a lot to maintain.
    '89 535i, 225000 miles, family owned... Williamsburg, VA

Default and chapel hill

Quote Originally Posted by billb
    We need to all get together real soon, maybe a karting event at Rush Hour in Garner? Maybe a meet and greet in the parking lot prior to?

sfalcon, there are quite a few of us E34 guys around the Cary/Apex/Raleigh/Clayton area, and we'd all be happy to help out. I took my E34 to First Class Automotive in North Raleigh to have the suspension redone at 100k miles. I'm at 140k now, and would probably do it myself if I had it to do over again, but I didn't know as much about the car then.
    is the car auto or manual?
    shade tree is good, but most of the car maintenance is DIY
    btw- my car just turn 135 on the drive into work this morning

Rush Hour would be a fantastic idea
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS

Quote Originally Posted by billb
    I'd make a trip over for that under the guise of "work".

Asheville here, hopefully Raleigh or Wake Forest in the spring.

Default Many thanks for welcoming me!

Thanks Guys.
    I will take it to them and tell you how it goes.

I will also hopefully soon learn to DIY (I have been wanting to do this for a long time now), may be a course in a community college would help.
    Any tips on what is the best way to start, I don't want my car to pay for my mistakes.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by unhygenix
    Thanks Guys.
    I will take it to them and tell you how it goes.

I will also hopefully soon learn to DIY (I have been wanting to do this for a long time now), may be a course in a community college would help.
    Any tips on what is the best way to start, I don't want my car to pay for my mistakes.

Thanks again.
    The best course you'e gonna find about working on these cars is this website, some of the guys here are experts.