GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Could a bent rear wheel cause steering wheel wabble

Default Could a bent rear wheel cause steering wheel wabble

at 55 MPH? I was told when i had tires put on these rear wheels the right one was badly bent but i didn't have any real seriously adverse behavior until AFTER i had the new rotors and pads put on.There had been wheel shudder under braking but the new rotors and pads fixed that completely,now at 55 MPH the steering wheel bounces.Not below and not above by much anyway.I had hub-centric rings on and the guys who did the brakes said they were all in good shape.Can a bent REAR wheel cause steering wheel bounce or would it be more likely that after doing the brakes they mixed up the wheels and put the badly bent one which had been on the right rear, up front as they are all the same size and the tires are all the same. I am just trying to understand from whence came this wobble and weather to spend a day and $100+ getting the bent wheel trued or just spend $200 on a brand new wheel. I'm leaning toward just getting a new wheel but if i knew with certainty a rear bent wheel wouldn't produce steering wheel bounce at 55 and it would have to be on the front, it would exclude any other causes for the wobble such as those newish Boge 750i bushings having been ripped while the "warped" rotors were in use.The reason i am not starting with that possibility is the wheel wobble wasn't present before the Rotor job and if it was junked bushings I'd have felt this before the Rotor job,right?
    Last edited by Jehu; 12-18-2006 at 06:57 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Default Bent rim

would give oscillation according to the speed (slow=slow wobble)

see if the tires are all still balanced.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

couple things, yes they probably put the bent rim on the front. jack it up and spin it. other thing is if there was rust on the rotor it should have been cleaned up with a flat file.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You mean rust on the hub ,right? The rotors were brand spanking new.I will ask the shop who did the brakes about it.If there was a high spot on the hub i guess the new rotor could be seated off center.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Default Start with what changed

First off, it would be very odd that a bent wheel on the rear would cause the steering wheel to move. A bent wheel on the front could definitely cause it. A bent wheel on the rear would most likely cause the entire car to vibrate. Also, is it possible that a hubcentric ring fell out as the wheels were going back on? When I got my style 5's years ago, I didn't know I needed the rings. One short drive taught me that, yes, I was going to need them. Lots of vibrations when the wheels aren't centered. Someone else also mentioned making certain the hubs don't have any gunk on them. Anything between a hub and rotor would induce runout to the rotor and the wheel. Jack the front end up and spin the wheels by hand. Surely if you've got a runout problem it should show up. Look closely at any new components that were added or anything that was removed to install the new components. If you didn't have vibration problems with the wheels before, it is unlikely that you would have them now.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

yes I meant the hub duhh... too much on my mind. check the runout on the wheels, bet they transplanted the bad rim to the front.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy