GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Tranny filter change

Default Tranny filter change

Hi All,

I am planning to replace tranny filter this weekend. I need your advice on the following.

1. Is it easy to replace O-rings that are in the Tranny oil cooler pipes while am at it. Or am I inviting trouble by loosing more Tranny oil?

Parts 4 & 7 in the picture http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...95&hg=17&fg=05

And it says there are total 8 O-rings in Qty column. But in the pic it shows only 2* part 4 and 2* part 7.

2. My previous owner has done tranny oil change 1 1/2 years before. I dont know if they flushed the tranny or just replaced the 3 Qts which is lost while dropping the pan. What are the problems associated with a tranny flush?
    If at all they have done a flush what can I do to avoid future trouble?

3. Procedure says the car should be in level while adding tranny fluid. Should it be perfectly leveled? Or is it ok if it is slightly raised at the filler plug side?

4. Procedure says that when I check or add Tranny fluid the temp of the oil should be between 30 C to 50 C. Preferably near 30 C. How to check the oil temp. Is there a good quality manual thermometer (I dont want to spend money on expensive automatic laser thermometers)

5. When to drop the Tranny pan for filter change? When it is hot or cold?

6. Which brand Dexron III to buy?

My Tranny model ZF5HP18 (A5S310Z). It is one of the life time fluid ones carrying Dexron III.

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...+filter+change

dont change them O rings unless they leak

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/search.php?searchid=276730 tired of typig it over and over

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinewhite
    Hi All,

I am planning to replace tranny filter this weekend. I need your advice on the following.

1. Is it easy to replace O-rings that are in the Tranny oil cooler pipes while am at it. Or am I inviting trouble by loosing more Tranny oil?

Parts 4 & 7 in the picture http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...95&hg=17&fg=05

And it says there are total 8 O-rings in Qty column. But in the pic it shows only 2* part 4 and 2* part 7.

2. My previous owner has done tranny oil change 1 1/2 years before. I dont know if they flushed the tranny or just replaced the 3 Qts which is lost while dropping the pan. What are the problems associated with a tranny flush?
    If at all they have done a flush what can I do to avoid future trouble?

3. Procedure says the car should be in level while adding tranny fluid. Should it be perfectly leveled? Or is it ok if it is slightly raised at the filler plug side?

4. Procedure says that when I check or add Tranny fluid the temp of the oil should be between 30 C to 50 C. Preferably near 30 C. How to check the oil temp. Is there a good quality manual thermometer (I dont want to spend money on expensive automatic laser thermometers)

5. When to drop the Tranny pan for filter change? When it is hot or cold?

6. Which brand Dexron III to buy?

My Tranny model ZF5HP18 (A5S310Z). It is one of the life time fluid ones carrying Dexron III.

Thanks
    Arun
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Hi Regal,

Thanks for your answer. I am sorry if I seem to be asking some questions again and again. I will go through all the search result before I ask another question regarding this subject.

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

sorry didnt have time to reply. the car MUST be level front to back and side to side. the fluid has to be about 100 degrees, which in my descriptions is when you can hold you hand on the trans pan but its very unconfortable, this is when you make sure the level is correct AND the car is idling. This scares the crap out of me because the fronts on ramps and the back is in stands...car running...eeek.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks for your elaborate answer. I understand your frustration. I saw atleast 15 of your answers to Tranny related questions.

Its just that I am nervous and dont want to blow up the tranny.

Thanks
    Arun