GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about cold weather and intake leaks

Default Question about cold weather and intake leaks

Last week I started a thread, as many like me have trying to diagnose engine problems that started as the weather went from cool to cold.

Well we've had a few warmer days around here and the car still won't run right. I've been wondering if cold induced problems from intake leak are reversible or not.

One thing I can't shake is that problems started happening after a fill up. I got it down to a little less than a 1/4 tank before the car really started having problems. Does bad gas manifest itself with stalling and intermittant response to throttle?
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

u mguht have a clogged fuel filter.

Last year during early fall I started having the check engine light and rough idle. But it would go away after I drove a few minutes. This problem never happened during the whole summer and early fall.

Late Fall, when the temp went to <40 one day it started to move like a bullock cart and there was the check engine light and it would never go off. I could only think time and cold weather has worsened the problem.

I have also noticed cold start will be quite rough when the fuel level is 1/4 than when it is 1/2. May be its fuel filter. I am going to change it during this oil change.

I used to get a lot of whitish smoke before replacing gaskets and PCV.

What ever, all my problems seem to have completely gone after I replaced the intake gaskets and PCV plate. Last week it was 25 here and the M60 purred like a kitten.

All the best,
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinewhite
    What ever, all my problems seem to have completely gone after I replaced the intake gaskets and PCV plate. Last week it was 25 here and the M60 purred like a kitten.
    +1

Also, when you replace the fuel filter add in a in line check valve. There is one built into the fuel pump but it can get stuck open. Then you have fuel that drains back into the tank and starts are rough and lumpy until the juice gets pressurized again.

Here is the part number, $4 from the dealer and comes with everything you need. 16 14 9 068 988
    Last edited by brosher; 12-13-2006 at 12:57 PM.

reboot the computers and it should run fine again, you will probably get another code when it gets cold again.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    Last week I started a thread, as many like me have trying to diagnose engine problems that started as the weather went from cool to cold.

Well we've had a few warmer days around here and the car still won't run right. I've been wondering if cold induced problems from intake leak are reversible or not.

One thing I can't shake is that problems started happening after a fill up. I got it down to a little less than a 1/4 tank before the car really started having problems. Does bad gas manifest itself with stalling and intermittant response to throttle?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    reboot the computers and it should run fine again, you will probably get another code when it gets cold again.

Good idea, I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by brosher
    +1

Also, when you replace the fuel filter add in a in line check valve. There is one built into the fuel pump but it can get stuck open. Then you have fuel that drains back into the tank and starts are rough and lumpy until the juice gets pressurized again.

Here is the part number, $4 from the dealer and comes with everything you need. 16 14 9 068 988
    Sorry to steal this thread. Is there a write up for installing this check valve? Is it ok to install this check valve even if the one in fuel pump hasnt fully failed?

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

The part from BMW comes with the valve, fuel line on both sides, 2 crimp clamps and some BMX handlebar foam for padding. If you can I'd put it before the filter, but I ended up putting mine after.

I was having problems with my car starting on the first try in the morning. It would sputter and die after the first crank and take a minute or so before it ran right. Letting it prime for a few seconds seemed to help, but not a lot. The fuel was draining back into the tank or I was losing pressure somehow. Now it starts up just as you would expect.

It certainly can't hurt anything to have 2. And if you are having problems it's easy to do when you are changing the fuel filter.
    Last edited by brosher; 12-13-2006 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119

Yes it could, have you tried adding dry gas to remove any moisture from the tank?

Update:

I put in some Techron and got a 5 gallon gas container that took my tank to about 1/2. This didn't help anything on Saturday.

Today, I installed the fuel filters(easy job btw-- thanks for helpful posts). The filters I removed were very old and certainly were not replaced anytime recently, if, at all. The car took a while to get started(seems to make sense given the nature of the job), once it did the car ran fine. I filled up the tank(from a different station) and drove it around a fair bit.

On the way back from a quick shopping trip I started getting the laggy response to throttle and jumpiness of the car, especially when taking off from a light. I felt like I could also feel it when going faster but since the car had momentum it was hard to notice.

Just took another test drive just now at 11pm. For the quick few minutes I drove the car it didn't stutter noticably but also took a couple cranks to get started.

I didn't get a check valve-- no time to get to the stealer for it.

I'm hoping the car remains driveable so that I can get it home later in the week and I'll do the intake gaskets and PVC plate during that time. I'm hoping this is the problem, but given everything I've just listed, does it still make sense or should I be looking to replace something else?

EDIT: I forgot to ask this earlier, when doing the intake gaskets is there procedure that people follow to try and clean the injectors? I haven't seen anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast