GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: engine dies at low speeds

Default engine dies at low speeds

Hi guys,

My m20 has recently developed this poroblem. At low speeds, the engine stalls suddenly. It only happens at very low speeds, when for example, I'm not stepping on the gas, but simply letting the car run. The problem is intermittent.

Not sure if this symptom is related to another symptom I've noticed. The car requires about 4 cranks before the engine suddenly comes to life. This doesn't seem to be a cold start problem, because it happens mostly on warm start. Ironically, on cold start, there's a different symptom: on pumping the pedal, the car doesn't respond until I've pumped the gas several times.

I've done several searches on this board. Have also run the electronic diagnostics which revealed a failing engine temperature sensor.

I've checked the battery and changed the fuel filter in an attempt to solve the problem, but no joy. Have yet to change the engine temp sensor because it didn't seem to me to be the source of the problem.

I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator is failing, but because the symptoms mentioned above are intermittent, its difficult to know for sure if either or both of these items are failing.

Can anyone shed light if i'm barking up the wrong tree? I'm guessing its a fuel delivery problem because the car is cranking, so it doesn't seem like a Crankshaft position sensor problem or starter problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Quote Originally Posted by jolllibean
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator is failing, but because the symptoms mentioned above are intermittent, its difficult to know for sure if either or both of these items are failing.
    Welcome to the club. I've been chasing a similar issue for a little while now (might want to try a search for more info). I've swapped just about every sensor imaginable as well as ICV and coils, with no luck. Just discovered that I'm also having cold start issue (finally a non-intermitent symptom I can sink my teeth into). I am getting bopth fuel and spark, but possibly not enough fuel. I left your fuel pressure ststement in the post as that is where I'm headed next. Have purchased a pressure tester, but won't likely get to the job until i return home from the holidays.

Anyhow, good luck with it,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *