GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater Control panel - little fan stays on

Default Heater Control panel - little fan stays on

Hi Guys/Gals,

I have a problem? with the heater control panel (slider controls) in my '95 525i.
    I took the panel out the other day to replace the 1 blown lightbulb (thanks bimmer.info for the how to's ) and when I connected it all back (with ignition off) the little fan in the back of the panel (which might draw air in for the temperature sensor??) started up & stayed on. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't going when I removed it, although it does run very quietly. I don't want to stick it all back in and have this fan stay on & eventually flatten the battery. I didn't break anything as far as I am aware, only disassembled enough to put in a new light bulb. I'd really like to know what this fan is for, it has a tube from the vent on the front of the panel going to it, which was full of fluff,dust which I cleaned out. Perhaps I should have left it dirty. Anyone know if the fan turns itself off eventually. I looked in the Bentley bible and it doesn't talk about it.

PS. any members in Brisbane, Australia know a good place to get OBC codes read and reset if needed. (BMW dealer wanted $60 just to read stored codes).

Many thanks for any ideas.
    Cheers
    Andrew.

The fan is to push the air inside the cabin thru the small tube, where a temp sensor is to determine the cabin air temp.
    If that sensor inside is dirty, the temp inside the cabin cannot be controlled correctly.
    Did you switch the aircon and fan off and it still worked?

To read codes and reset, reset oil intervals and inspection intervals, buy a Peake tool from USA, if the dealer wants 60 $ for such a reading. Costs 149 US $ and you have the money back on a short time and it is handy and you can always keep it in the glovebox.
    www.peakeresearch.com

Default heater control panel - little fan stays on

Thanks Shogun for your reply.

I suspected that may be what it was for. I am just surprised that it stays on with the ignition, aircon and fans turned off. I don't know if this is normal or if it turns itself off after a while. I imagine there must be a simple logic control turn turn it on, unless it just stays on. I doubt if any OBC would be involved. I could always forcibly disconect it, if it is not mission critical, but that would be a last resort.

Its a bit like a light in a fridge, that when its all in place I won't know if it actually has turned off. I have kept the panel connected and sitting out of the dash and this thing just keeps going.

Cheers
    Andrew.

Took out and cleaned, now mine is buzzing,and runs for quite awhile but does stop eventually.At least when I get back in the next day.

yes if you sit in the car after you have turned it off things turn on and off and change position for AGES
    Gone but not forgotten

Default Heater/temp fan thing

Thanks all your help guys, I left it plugged in and walked away and came back after quite a few hours and it had stopped. So it does seem that some things keep going for a loooong time after the cars turned off.

I tried to make sense of the wiring diagram but that just left me confused.

Cheers
    Andrew

look under the rear seat.there are enough wires there to link up a small towns telephone exchange!
    Gone but not forgotten

as soon as saw your sig i knew you had posted one of those pics....grrrrr
    Gone but not forgotten

hehe, don't worry, Paul, I will not spoil your X-mas in NZ.
    Am I right that you have summer right now down under?
    How about some "exposed pics"
    I mean engines and that stuff, stop undressing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast