GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Turn signal oddity

Default Turn signal oddity

Okay, I have been chasing this one for a while.

With the headlights on, I hit the turn signal for a right turn and the high beams come on, and it only happens when the lever is moved to the hold position for right turns. If I jiggle the lever the high beams will usually shut off. Is this simply a dirty/bad switch or an LKM issue? I have tried cleaning the dust out of the switch assembly but that didn't work. I did not remove the assembly as it appears that the wiring is soldered into the column harness and I could not locate a connector. Is there one? Anyone else see this problem?

I try to be a courteous driver and not blind oncoming traffic with those death ray high beams. I could just make left turns at night but that might prove to be impractical.
    '95 540iA ~212k

This is a common switch issue- the grease in the switch is dead and contacts worn. Replace the stalk and be done with it.

When doing so, beware the wheel only comes off with the key in the ignition... and make sure you don't break the stalks little plastic return lever when replacing the wheel... then you'll be good to go.

Oh and btw; I think the stalk from any e34 will fit- pehaps even others... check on www.realoem.com Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 12-16-2006 at 06:16 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    This is a common switch issue- the grease in the switch is dead and contacts worn. Replace the stalk and be done with it.

When doing so, beware the wheel only comes off with the key in the ignition... and make sure you don't break the stalks little plastic return lever when replacing the wheel... then you'll be good to go.

Oh and btw; I think the stalk from any e34 will fit- pehaps even others... check on www.realoem.com Nick
    Thanks, Nick. There's a '91 525 in a scrap yard near me that I can get the stalk from.

John
    '95 540iA ~212k