GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Trip Odometer Won't Zero Out?

Default Trip Odometer Won't Zero Out?

I have the opposite problem - my trip odometer won't reset. What am I doing wrong, hold down the left post right?
    1992 525i Touring M50 5spd Manual 230k+ miles - SOLD:-(

I have the same problem where it is hard to get it to reset.
    Most of the time, for whatever reason, if I twist the reset while pushing it in, it will work. Also seems that it won't reset until the car moves a bit and then comes to a stop but I could be completely off on this.

Mines getting harder and harder to reset too.
    I've asked about it here before. Was told probably "bad capcitors".
    I'm pretty sure it's a bad micro switch though, since it shows no other signs of bad Caps and it's a intermittant problem.
    You should be able to get a read out without the key in the ignition when you press the reset button, and that don't work either. Which makes me think a bad micro switch.
    I'll do the Caps one of these days just to varify it, since it's a cheap fix. Hopefully Digi-key has a compatable switch too, if the Caps don't fix it.
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt

I have read on the German board something about that:

-if one pushes the button too hard, over the years the motherboard lines underneath break. So it does not 'bridge' the contacts and does not work.
    Repair the lines.

-the button has a kind of conductive (?) tip, this can also be damaged. It can be removed from the tip and inserted again the other way round.

Anyway, remove the cluster and have a look there.
    If you find something, show pics. I have no probs with my one.

The very first dash cluster i did on a e34 was my own, have since done numerous customers, but one of the symptoms on mine besides the odometer zeroing out on its own sometimes on startup and the gong going off on startup and the gauges acting up, anyway one of the other symptoms that i suspected was a bad microswitch was that i had to push really hard to get it to reset the trip as well and it seemed like it got harder and harder just as you describe. I did the caps and it worked perfect after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris'91'525i
    Mines getting harder and harder to reset too.
    I've asked about it here before. Was told probably "bad capcitors".
    I'm pretty sure it's a bad micro switch though, since it shows no other signs of bad Caps and it's a intermittant problem.
    You should be able to get a read out without the key in the ignition when you press the reset button, and that don't work either. Which makes me think a bad micro switch.
    I'll do the Caps one of these days just to varify it, since it's a cheap fix. Hopefully Digi-key has a compatable switch too, if the Caps don't fix it.

I have the same problem on my car. I've replaced the caps due to other issues with the speedo /tacho on cold mornings which did cure that fault.

There is no microswitch on my car but the button has a small conductive 'rubber' piece in the end which bridges two connections on the board. I have turned this round and cleaned the connections on the board. It worked for a while but gradually got harder to reset and now won't reset at all again.

So its likely down to a bad contact, but I've decided its something I can live without!