GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please convince me to keep my e34! (rant)

Default Please convince me to keep my e34! (rant)

Well I was financially struck again by my 540/6 this weekend. My situation is grim, I bought this beauty 3 years ago (69K miles)with the understanding that I would be able to save a few bucks by wrenching on it myself for some of the less demanding repairs. Then I had to move to another state and am renting a house without a garage, just a gravel driveway. To make matters worse, now it failed NC state inspection due to worn upper/lower contol arms and a cracked headlight (dame dump trucks). I also need brake pads/rotors all around (expecting -indicator's been on for 2 weeks), new tires, and new shocks/springs very shortly. This is on top of the 2-O2 sensors, windsheild, and valve cover gaskets I just got fixed over the past 3 months. I'm experiencing that "what's gonna break next" feeling every time I get in and drive. I still owe $5k on her (at a miserable interest rate), she's got 121,000 miles (60K on Alusil) and am looking at about $2k just to get it legal. I can't believe the money I've spent on this car and it doesn't even pass state inspection - meanwhile trashed Tempos and Tercels pass with flying colors.....
    Before this happened, I was going to keep the bimmer and buy a beater pickup for utility purposes, but now I'm considering unloading before the repairs and getting a smaller 4-door pickup -Tacoma/Canyon/SportTrac - instead. My payments would probably be the same and I would have that coveted warranty - but the wheel time would be much less inspiring.
    UNLESS y'all can convince me otherwise
    Help me O-B<MW>-1, you're my only hope....
    jack
    Pinehurst NC

A good estimate of annual upkeep costs other than major repairs like engine or transmission is 5-10% of the car's original MSRP of $50K. That works out to $2.5-5K in your case so the $2K to pass inspection is reasonable, especially for an 8-9 yr old car.

My previous ride was a '92 Camry V6/5spd and in 4yr/120K miles, it only needed CV boots. The repair file on the Bimmer is overflowing two folders but I still wouldn't trade it for the reliability of the Toyota. In the end, if driving enjoyment is more important than maintenance-free, feeling-free, reliability, then that's up to the driver (or left-seat passenger).

Cheers,

David

Well, the whole not having a garage thing really does suck. However, that doesn't have to be a nail in the coffin. Have any friends in the area who would let you borrow a garage (or even just a paved driveway) for a weekend?

Control arms should be pretty simple. Which headlight is out, high or low beam? Pads and Rotors will wear out on any car, it just a downside of the braking system. But still its not that bad. Tires are going to be hard, depending on what quality of rubber you want they will probably be your most expensive 'repair' but also the easiest to fix. Did the shocks/springs fail inspection? If not i wouldn't worry about them yet. If they did fail, talk to BMA i'm sure you can get something worked out.

Also, about the headlight. Does NC have something like some states do where if a truck throws a stone and you grab the trucks plate #, the state or the trucks insurance will have to pay to replace the headlight? Maybe something to look into as a way of saving a few bucks. Also, if you're not interested in that, and its a highbeam thats busted, drop me a PM, i think i have one around here somewhere.

All things considered you COULD unload her onto someone else and buy a truck. But do this first, hop in her and go for a romp around some twisty roads with the radio off and just listen to the beautiful purrr. Really pay attention to the feel of slipping her into 4th gear and pushing in the gas, notice the way she hugs those corners. Then try to imagine doing the same thing in a 4door pickup.

stick it out, i went through this VERY SAME debate with my M5 when the headgasket blew. My situtation is a little different because i have an alternate source of transportation, but i just couldn't imagine life without my E34! Don't worry, there is a way!

u should sell the car. your priorities now are not to have fun, but it sounds like
    you're trying to make ends meet.

you need a honda civic. or a saturn. imagine the gas mileage!

ps - i'm jk, i'm trying to use reverse psychology =]

Tires: Around $450 / 4 if you buy Falken, Ventus, or some "lower status" brand. By the way, Falken is the only tire I run or buy.

Upper control arms: $90 each with 750 bushings in Lemforder (BMA)

Lower control arms: Steel about $70 each in Lemforder

Headlight: Buy a used unit from Zionsville or Autobahn or replace the lens. Get some of those stone guards for the headlights. A lot cheaper than new headlights.

Brakes: You can change your brakes in the gravel drive way. Takes about two hours for the front if you replace rotors and pads. Parts are $160 for the front with new pads (Mintex) and new rotors (Balo). (BMA) Rears are a little cheaper. You'll also need one new sensor for each axle (one front, on rear).

These cars are not that expensive to repair. The stuff above costs the same for a Toyota or Honda for all intensive purposes.

Mike Holbrook
    Spring Valley, CA

Keep the car, buy a decent car cover..., don't renew tags & ins..., buy a gas efficient car like stated below, maybe get a part-time job to boost income..., may not have a life but that's temporary..., then make ends meet..., save some money..., repair bimmer a little at a time until completely fixed and enjoy the ride. A trick of life. There are others...

Default Are you a BMWCCA member? Our chapter has a garage day periodically.

They get us access to a professional garage with some use of tools and lots of professional advice. Turning a wrench with poeple who can really help can make the load bearable.

If you can get caught up on your problem areas you may find that the experience of this board can help you stay ahead on maintenance items and head off a lot of these problems that bite you at inopportune moments.
    Mark Hall
    '95 525iA EAT chipped (just one now )
    '98 528iA

Default Great input..but..

I'm married...and you'all know what the wifey is thinking right now!!
    AND, I just had a son 2 months ago, which really eats up the budget/free time, AND, I am designing and building a house on a chunk of land I bought last summer. So, to say the least, things are a bit tight for me right now. Not to mention my weekends are already completely consumed. To put it mildly, my driving excietment has really taken second fiddle to dependable transportation. Sux too, I really love it when I have my summer wheels on, its a cool evening, and there is absolutely nobody on the long windey 2-lane roads found all over these parts. I relesh those times...but I gotta get practical.

But I'm still not giving up! I'm going to make a few phone calls and get some numbers later today!

Thanks again for the great replys!

Keep it, eventually the costs level out. I put a good bit of $$$ into mine last year - whlole front suspension, whole cooling system,and inspection II. New tires this year ($500 michelins w/roadforce balencing - smooth as silk). Need to do brakes and rear suspension this summer. But I wouldn't trade it for some $20k toyota. But then, mines paid for...

I'm up in Apex (south of Raleigh) and could help with a lot of simpler stuff like headlights, VC gasket, brakes - been there done those (except brakes on this car). You'd just have to let me take it out on the country roads around here for a test drive! I had an estimate from an indy here for the upper lower control arms that I think was about $750. I couldn't do those myself.

There is also Brett on this board (rigmaster) that is close - I think he'll do repairs and might be cheaper than a shop for the control arms.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Look at it this way ,
    If you sell it on this condition (not passing inpection) , you wont have enough to even buy a civic !!
    If you fix it for an inspection , it will get you more money but now that its fixed .,...who wants a civic @@
    remember , Bimmers do have expensive parts but they also last longer than other cars .(changing them means you wont have to do it for a long while !)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast