GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "help me get my car fixed up during winter break" thread

Default The "help me get my car fixed up during winter break" thread

Hey guys. As you may know, my e34 got keyed over Thanksgiving break and since it's getting repainted, I'm going all out. I have a million questions about "how to go about getting things painted, etc"

The M tech skirts. First of all, I should get them painted seperatley then put them on the car, correct? Second of all, can someone find me a definitive answer of exactly EVERY last part/piece that is required to mount these things. (Realoem isn't working for me for some reason)

Does anyone know if the M-tech skirt lower door pieces are different than the regular ones?? How do those things even attach? Should I get my black lowers painted entirely and then put the skirts on or just leave them alone?

Here's a picture of the lower door pieces that I'm talking about:

And for the final question on the sideskirt topic (if the lower door trim peices are indeed different) how doi go about mounting the M tech sideskirt ones??

Second of all, should I replace my trunk lid entirely or just fix it (Is it possible for them to fix the small dent in my trunk? I have a seperate trunk lid, but I realized the VIN will be different and I don't want people to think the car was ever in an accident. If I don't wind up using the lid it will be for sale.

Does anyone have the 4 damn brackets that hold up the acoustic cover for the M60 engine? I refuse to pay $20 for one at a dealer.

Bought an e46 sport wheel and realize I'll have to ditch my airbag, but will the passenger airbag still function? Also, I know I will get the airbag light on the dash, but if I get the code pulled will it continue to light up every time I start the car?

I will also be painting the chrome trim around the window while the car is being painted. Does anyone have a write-up on how to paint the trim and exactly what supplies are needed or how to get it off without bending it. Also, anyone have the part numbers for the clips that hold it on and how many I will need for both sides?

Also bought a few other things like 540 ducts, Euro plate license holder, etc. but will post some pic's once they arrive.

Well that's it for now and thanks for any help provided.

Who wants to buy some mint e30 door panels,rear parcel shelf, speaker panels and a CD changer to help me fund this crap lol.
    Last edited by E34 530; 12-13-2006 at 09:35 PM.

self tapping nuts in an air gun? sorry, I couldnt fathom putting holes in the guts of may car
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You'll have to drill whole in the rocker to mount those skirts.. The hardware is on real OEM with all the part #'s and it tells you how much of what you need and or the dealer or Partick at BMA can tell you. The trim on the bottoms of the doors is different and you just hank on the rubber stuff you have to pull it off (downward motion) and the other ones will snap on. They are expensive new and hard to find used, good luck. I've been watching for a set for some skirts I have. I have my wholes drilled, all the hardware in a bag but waiting on those pieces. You can put them on without those though. You'll also pull those little black trim pieces off the bottom of your quarter by the rear door and off the fener to attach the side skirt itself.

You could fix that trunk lid pretty easily, just pull it out as close and you can and throw a little mud on it.. smooth it out and it will be just fine.

alright thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to buy those damn strips new unless Pancake comes through. Alright, now my sideskirt issues are solved (kinda). Looks like I'll put the trunk lid up for sale. Who wants it???

No, they have little tit's like the clips for the skirts that snap into the bottom of the door. You def want a set since your car is silver. The stock ones will really stick out being black. I wish you were closer, I'd trade my white skirts for your black ones. Silver covers white a lot easier and my car is already black.

Quote Originally Posted by kesslerbmw
    You'll have to drill whole in the rocker to mount those skirts.. The hardware is on real OEM with all the part #'s and it tells you how much of what you need and or the dealer or Partick at BMA can tell you. The trim on the bottoms of the doors is different and you just hank on the rubber stuff you have to pull it off (downward motion) and the other ones will snap on. They are expensive new and hard to find used, good luck. I've been watching for a set for some skirts I have. I have my wholes drilled, all the hardware in a bag but waiting on those pieces. You can put them on without those though. You'll also pull those little black trim pieces off the bottom of your quarter by the rear door and off the fener to attach the side skirt itself.

You could fix that trunk lid pretty easily, just pull it out as close and you can and throw a little mud on it.. smooth it out and it will be just fine.
    Post more pcitures please.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by kesslerbmw
    No, they have little tit's like the clips for the skirts that snap into the bottom of the door. You def want a set since your car is silver. The stock ones will really stick out being black. I wish you were closer, I'd trade my white skirts for your black ones. Silver covers white a lot easier and my car is already black.
    haha. I re-read your post and edited it before I saw this post lol. The door will already have "pre-set" holes for the M-tech door lowers?

i bought those little metal/rubber things, then never ended up putting them on the car. they have been in a bag for a year now with the hardware for when my fuel pump dies.

in regards to painting the chrome, i used Wurth trim paint and taped off the rest of the car with masking tape, brown paper on a roll, and plastic sheeting. you really need to cover the entire side of the car, and anything else where the paint might go. turns out i left one tiny spot open, and now there is a black mark there. you will also need to let it dry and put a second and third coat on, otherwise there will be a slight silver shimmer.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

What color are the door panels and package shelf?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast