GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else have an E38/39 style alarm remote? Any tips for a dead alarm?

TC535i Guest

Default Anybody else have an E38/39 style alarm remote? Any tips for a dead alarm?

My 95 540i has the red button in the dash vent, and I have the E38 style key... but the alarm doesn't work. I don't see a red light on the remote, so I don't know if it's even "transmitting". Previous owner replaced the batteries, but it never worked for him either apparantly (in the ~1 yr he owned it).

Any ideas on where to start? Didn't see the alarm module when I was in the backseat... where do they stash this style alarm?

Just as an example of the key I'm talking about... it looks like this, except mine doesn't have the LED near the "LOCK" text.

Thanks!

-Tim

I just purchased and programed the rectangular remote for my 95 525i EWS II model. Maybe yours works the same way:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...rog_remote.htm

Quote Originally Posted by spyrot1
    I just purchased and programed the rectangular remote for my 95 525i EWS II model. Maybe yours works the same way:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...rog_remote.htm
    Good to know! That was an idea I had...

But the lighted key fits so nicely on my Tiffany's key ring, not sure if I want to give that up. I really want the 2000+ BMW key, but I think that's EWS III.

[/HIJACK]
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

Check the forums for some posts on this. I also have a non functioning alarm/keyless system, although it worked when I bought it. One day it just gave up(though it was never great to begin with).

I asked the shop to check it out when I had my clutch done and diagnostics pointed them towards something called the pitch sensor (aka - inclination sensor). I haven't found the will to drop about $100 on a new one yet-- I'd rather get my car driveable first.

In any event, it appears that after a certain number of bad inputs the car will shut down the keyless/alarm system and can only be reset by the dealer. First thing first, if the light on your key doesn't work then you may want to have the battery changed as the cheapest first option(mine lights up, but its not super bright-- even with fresh batteries). Also, the owners' manual has a reset procedure in the key loses sync with the car which is also worth trying.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Denton
    Good to know! That was an idea I had...

But the lighted key fits so nicely on my Tiffany's key ring, not sure if I want to give that up. I really want the 2000+ BMW key, but I think that's EWS III.

[/HIJACK]
    It took all of 10 minutes to install and worth every minute. So much easier then having to lock and unlock the doors manually.

I was looking on ebay for them but people were bidding more for them then a brand new one cost from BavAuto! $105.00 new from BavAuto, over $110 used on ebay... I guess people don't know where to look for them.

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    Check the forums for some posts on this. I also have a non functioning alarm/keyless system, although it worked when I bought it. One day it just gave up(though it was never great to begin with).

I asked the shop to check it out when I had my clutch done and diagnostics pointed them towards something called the pitch sensor (aka - inclination sensor). I haven't found the will to drop about $100 on a new one yet-- I'd rather get my car driveable first.

In any event, it appears that after a certain number of bad inputs the car will shut down the keyless/alarm system and can only be reset by the dealer. First thing first, if the light on your key doesn't work then you may want to have the battery changed as the cheapest first option(mine lights up, but its not super bright-- even with fresh batteries). Also, the owners' manual has a reset procedure in the key loses sync with the car which is also worth trying.
    I have a number of error codes that I pulled up on my buddy's diagnostic machine... I'll post em up later and see if any of them look like something that would cause this.

What light are you referring to on the key? I don't have the LED as pictured in my original post. I didn't see the synch procedure in the owners manual when I flipped thru it before, I'll look more carefully.

TC535i Guest

Just looked at the owners manual, and it says "if this car is equipped with an alarm, its operation is outlined in a seperate manual". Anybody got one of those manuals? All I have is the general 5-series owners manual...

Have you opened up the key to see if there is a chip in there? Also, what alarm is under the rear seat? Is it the Alpine?

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spyrot1
    Have you opened up the key to see if there is a chip in there? Also, what alarm is under the rear seat? Is it the Alpine?
    Like I said in the original post, I didn't see an alarm module under the rear seat... is that where it should be?

I opened up the key, and saw this. No visible "chip" like the old style, just an enclosed circuit board type thing that the batteries plug into, and the main body piece with buttons, a little copper colored "thing" (bottom right of the key head, appx size/thickness of a flat-type battery?), and a little black chip that was loose, no connections (bottom left of key head, partially tucked under that plastic cover... maybe EWS related?)

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    Like I said in the original post, I didn't see an alarm module under the rear seat... is that where it should be?

I opened up the key, and saw this. No visible "chip" like the old style, just an enclosed circuit board type thing that the batteries plug into, and the main body piece with buttons, a little copper colored "thing" (bottom right of the key head, appx size/thickness of a flat-type battery?), and a little black chip that was loose, no connections (bottom left of key head, partially tucked under that plastic cover... maybe EWS related?)

My key, which looks like yours in that picture has an LED in the corner of the key at the front. The procedure for synching the key with the keyless entry(as well as the alarm) is pretty much depicted in the manual. It may be different than mine in that your car is a '95 production year, right? I'm 9/93 and I know BMW progressed rapidly from drive away protection, EWSI to EWSII, which is why nobody can give a good answer to problems here. I've never actually found where the unit is located in the car, but it doesn't appear to be under the seat.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast