GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need info on memory seats and auto-dip pass. mirror in reverse

TC535i Guest

Default Need info on memory seats and auto-dip pass. mirror in reverse

My 540i has both of these, and neither work.

Memory seats... it has them, but they don't work. If I hit the "memory" button to "teach" it a position, it doesn't light up. Should it?

Reverse mirror... my car has the wrong mirror on the passenger side. It's an early E34 mirror, put on there by a previous owner. It's not even plugged in, since the connectors are different. I'm looking into buying replica M5 mirrors, with the motor/glass included. Here's my question... Is the reverse mirror dip function TOTALLY located outside the mirror assembly? Like, there's a brain somewhere that tells it to lower a certain amount, then allows it to return where it was once you're out of reverse? Or would the motor matter in this case? Will this function still work with the knockoff mirrors?

Any info you guys have on these would be great... along with figuring out why my radio displays on the dash and my OBC doesn't, and a couple other issues with the new car...

-Tim
    Last edited by TC535i; 12-12-2006 at 12:33 PM.

If I remember correctly, someone on this forum mentioned that the mirrors have sensors built in to accomodate proper positioning when controlled automatically. If an M5 came with this option, then I'd suspect that the mirrors would be capable of interfacing with your 540i harness and computer. Just my $.02

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rus
    If I remember correctly, someone on this forum mentioned that the mirrors have sensors built in to accomodate proper positioning when controlled automatically. If an M5 came with this option, then I'd suspect that the mirrors would be capable of interfacing with your 540i harness and computer. Just my $.02
    Hmm... so maybe the knockoffs wouldn't work, huh?

FWIW, I was browsing the group buys section on Bf.C and there was a GB for M3 Style" mirrors. The E34 was included.

The product description mentioned that these mirrors retained the reverse dip function of the 540, that's it's a seperate pin. I'd say that if you got another set of 540i mirrors, or late M5 mirrors, or these mirrors, you'd be in the clear. But that's only my speculation.

Can't really help ya on the memory seats.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Denton
    FWIW, I was browsing the group buys section on Bf.C and there was a GB for M3 Style" mirrors. The E34 was included.

The product description mentioned that these mirrors retained the reverse dip function of the 540, that's it's a seperate pin. I'd say that if you got another set of 540i mirrors, or late M5 mirrors, or these mirrors, you'd be in the clear. But that's only my speculation.

Can't really help ya on the memory seats.
    Yeah, I asked in that thread and the answer was "E34 has that? Oh yeah, I think it'll work..." Not exactly convincing.

Just saw this post from an E39 guy... Maybe it does work?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=116

Yeah, I'd bet that it does work. I can't imagine it being a much different setup in the E39.

Those E39 M5 mirrors look great on that Touring. Damn.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

TC535i Guest

I may just have to get one of the sets off ebay... this guy's starting to piss me off, not responding to questions about pictures, posts, emails... not good.

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    My 540i has both of these, and neither work.

Memory seats... it has them, but they don't work. If I hit the "memory" button to "teach" it a position, it doesn't light up. Should it?

Reverse mirror... my car has the wrong mirror on the passenger side. It's an early E34 mirror, put on there by a previous owner. It's not even plugged in, since the connectors are different. I'm looking into buying replica M5 mirrors, with the motor/glass included. Here's my question... Is the reverse mirror dip function TOTALLY located outside the mirror assembly? Like, there's a brain somewhere that tells it to lower a certain amount, then allows it to return where it was once you're out of reverse? Or would the motor matter in this case? Will this function still work with the knockoff mirrors?

Any info you guys have on these would be great... along with figuring out why my radio displays on the dash and my OBC doesn't, and a couple other issues with the new car...

-Tim
    Your telescoping steering wheel probably doesn't work either. Telescoping, memory seat, and reverse mirror are all connected together to the memory seat module (black box) beneath your driver seat. If your wiring or module has issues, all three of these functions will quit working. Also, remember the mirror switch (for adjusting mirror position) must be sitting in the left position for the reverse mirror function to work.
    _

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by swenpro
    Your telescoping steering wheel probably doesn't work either. Telescoping, memory seat, and reverse mirror are all connected together to the memory seat module (black box) beneath your driver seat. If your wiring or module has issues, all three of these functions will quit working. Also, remember the mirror switch (for adjusting mirror position) must be sitting in the left position for the reverse mirror function to work.
    Thanks for the suggestion... but the power telescoping (forward and back) function works. Any other guesses? Also, you're referring to the box under the rear seat, right?

The mirror isn't even plugged in on the right, I know that's the problem... it's an early E34 mirror, different connector. That's why I'm getting new mirrors, and looking at the M5 replicas.

I've got both seat memory module and auto-dip pass mirror.

I had the seat mem module get flaky about 5 yrs ago. I took the module out and apart and found that the IC board the button push on had slipped down in the case. Pushed the IC back into position, couple dabs of glue to hold it, and everything works again. There's not a lot inside them to go bad.

No idea if replica mirrors would work.
    FWIW i don't believe they 'auto-sense'. Someone physcially moved mine and it threw the motor off (auto-dip would try to move it down farther than it could go, you'd here the gears slip - ugly sound) until i readjusted it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast