GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a newer BMW 540i

Default Buying a newer BMW 540i

Well, right now, I have a 525i that im selling and I'm looking for a 540i in the future.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-5...QQcmdZViewItem

Will I find the same reliability in these 540i's as I will in my old 525i? I've gotten 245,000 trouble free miles from my 525i and I would expect the same out of these cars.

Info anyone? Thank you!

Cannot say much about the reliability.. but very nice machine.

I would hazard a guess the driveline would be about the same as an E34 540i

Does have more bells and whistles to go out though.

well. I'm either going to get another 1997-2001 525i or 540i

they are similar prices. I just want the V8 because I've never had one before, but I wouldn't if the reliability wasn't the same.

thanks

more advice appreciated.

The reliability isn't the same. The V8's are notorious for cooling system problems where the inline 6er's do not experience the early failures of broken radiator necks, thermostats, water pumps and the like. I think the V8's run hotter and spin up faster, stressing the system.

There were other problems besides the cooling system, like the fan blower resistor, cam sensors, abs modules, wear in the door seals by the latch, just to name a few. But by 2001, most of these problems were sorted by then. My advise would be to get a 2001-2002 model 525 if you're really wanting reliability. My wife now has over 110,000 miles on hers and besides the regular maintenance costs for inspections, the fan blower resistor was the only thing that crapped out, oh yeah, the chincie cup holders also broke.

We've went through 3 sets of tires, 2 sets of wiper blades, a fuel filter, 2 sets of spark plugs, 3 air filters, 3 sets of cabin filters, 18 oil changes with filters, a set of cupholders, a set of fan belts and a set of door seals. The transmission has "lifetime fluid" and I'm debating if the cost of a new tranny will offset the cost of trying to change the fluid which will run about $350 each change. I'm thinking of going for the life of the tranny and see how many miles I'll get out of it.

Hope this helps.
    JR

The front suspension of the e39 is also a weak point, even more so than the e34.

i made the jump from e34 525 to e39 540... reliability isn't as good... and the front suspension is a weak point, but not worse than the e34.. in fact, not even nearly as bad as the e34.

it'll cost a bit more to fix and work on because the workspace is tight, but it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    The reliability isn't the same. The V8's are notorious for cooling system problems where the inline 6er's do not experience the early failures of broken radiator necks, thermostats, water pumps and the like. I think the V8's run hotter and spin up faster, stressing the system.

There were other problems besides the cooling system, like the fan blower resistor, cam sensors, abs modules, wear in the door seals by the latch, just to name a few. But by 2001, most of these problems were sorted by then. My advise would be to get a 2001-2002 model 525 if you're really wanting reliability. My wife now has over 110,000 miles on hers and besides the regular maintenance costs for inspections, the fan blower resistor was the only thing that crapped out, oh yeah, the chincie cup holders also broke.

We've went through 3 sets of tires, 2 sets of wiper blades, a fuel filter, 2 sets of spark plugs, 3 air filters, 3 sets of cabin filters, 18 oil changes with filters, a set of cupholders, a set of fan belts and a set of door seals. The transmission has "lifetime fluid" and I'm debating if the cost of a new tranny will offset the cost of trying to change the fluid which will run about $350 each change. I'm thinking of going for the life of the tranny and see how many miles I'll get out of it.

Hope this helps.
    JR

It seems like the added benefits of getting a 540i (the extra hp and better handling) isn't worth the higher risk of maintenance issues. I really like reliability. it is my biggest factors when getting another car.

So it seems like I'm going to be going the 525i route.

Now what is the difference between the 525i and the 530i? Thanks your information did help.

Hieu

Quote Originally Posted by sirius_GTO
    It seems like the added benefits of getting a 540i (the extra hp and better handling) isn't worth the higher risk of maintenance issues. I really like reliability. it is my biggest factors when getting another car.

So it seems like I'm going to be going the 525i route.

Now what is the difference between the 525i and the 530i? Thanks your information did help.

Hieu
    The 540 does NOT handle better than the smaller engine 5s, it's not as good. Not to mention, the rack and pinion in the 525 / 530 feels a LOT better.

Reliability isn't as bad as everybody makes it sound, but it certainly isn't as good as a 525/530... The power, however - is a BIG difference, not just a little.

The 530 / 525 / 528 are all basically the same, but the 530 has more power and cost more usually. All great for reliability.

525s usually come with less options (but not always the case) than the 530 and the power difference is about 35hp. It's definately noticeable, though.

How is space in the E39s? The trunks seem much smaller, the interiors marginally so.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm
    How is space in the E39s? The trunks seem much smaller, the interiors marginally so.
    Interior space is very similar.. it FEELS wider, but really isn't. Back seat leg room is near identical as far as I can tell. The trunk IS a lot smaller. It's mainly because the battery is back there and the location of the cd changer... and to top it all off, the trunk lid has a smaller opening.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast