GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranny Swap or Not?

Default Tranny Swap or Not?

Hi, I have a 1995 525i automatic I love the and I've had it since February. It is virtually mint and I put a fair amount of money into it to get it the way I want it, but it's automatic and what I really want is a manual. I know some people converted their automatics to manuals. On the other hand, many people advise me NOT to do the conversion and just get another car witha manual. I just hate to part with this car. I don't think I can get the same car in the same condition, same color for the price I can afford. I was thinking of getting the eurodepot tranny swap kit. if I was gonna get rid of this car I was thinking I could get a 1995 E36 325is. Any advice as to whether to do the tranny swap?
    Thanks
    -Mike
    -Mike

Do the swap! It's not that hard & you'll gain alot of confidence for doing future repairs. I have no regrets having done mine except for pouring more money into a 15-year-old car that now has 175k miles on it. I have the 7, my son has a 5, & my wife has an e36. The e36 is "o.k." but after driving the 5 & 7, the 3 is definitely too small & hard to get in & out (I'm 6'-2").

Be sure to get an aftermarket conventional flywheel for it -- ditch the dual mass. Or ask Joel at Euro Depot about e30 conventional flywheel options. They will mate to an m50 if you use the e30 pressure plate. I think there is a little trick in having to use an e21 throw-out fork and/or throw-out bearing.

Generic swap details:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_41.htm
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

I read your experience with tranny swap. I wish I had your experience with cars to attempt it. My mechanical knowledge is printing press only. Change an alt or battery or water pump yes......full five speed swap......hmmmm not without back up.......One thing we have in common is same name>? dennygale

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son
    Hi, I have a 1995 525i automatic I love the and I've had it since February. It is virtually mint and I put a fair amount of money into it to get it the way I want it, but it's automatic and what I really want is a manual. I know some people converted their automatics to manuals. On the other hand, many people advise me NOT to do the conversion and just get another car witha manual. I just hate to part with this car. I don't think I can get the same car in the same condition, same color for the price I can afford. I was thinking of getting the eurodepot tranny swap kit. if I was gonna get rid of this car I was thinking I could get a 1995 E36 325is. Any advice as to whether to do the tranny swap?
    Thanks
    -Mike
    I had been debating a similar scenario as well, except my auto box is about to die. Just this last week I finally decided to go ahead with getting a rebuilt auto tranny, instead of swapping out for a manual or buying a different car. Some say doing the manual conversion is "not that bad in hindsight," but I'm sure that's considering the person is very mechanically competent, which I do not consider myself.

If your transmission still shifts well, just be thankful and drive it! I haven't actually seen your car, but if you really want the manual your best option is probably to sell and buy the manual. I really didn't have this option because I couldn't sell my car with a failing tranny. There's always other beautiful e34's out there... more powerful ones too
    _

Do the swap!

Even if you pay someone else to do the work, you're looking at less than $2500 for the whole project. Not too bad, and you get to keep your car.

You can sell the parts that come out of your car for $500-1000, further reducing the project price..

Pretty good value overall. You can by a complete conversion kit here:

http://www.theeurodepot.com/specials.html

Then you can boost the sucker. Talk to Jon K.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

That's pretty wild, I'm in the exact same shoes. My 1995 525i is perfect. A friend drove it last night and is now looking for an E34 540i6!

But it's an auto, and when put into reverse, there is a hesitation for a whole second. Not good...gonna change the fluid and filter and hope for the best. Really can't afford a sudden trans failure.

But when it goes, MANUAL TIME!
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

Default My $.02...

Originally, I bought a 535i with a 5 speed. However, first gear was extremely low and the gear shift lever never seemed to want to let go of first gear. I experimented with various combinations of accelerator and clutch engagement to make it smoother, but it didn't seem to work. Then it dawned on my one day that I almost dreaded driving the car because of this problem. So, I sold it. Bought a very nice granite metallic 1991 535i with an automatic. Been in love ever since. I suppose the moral of the story is...what do you want? A stick or an automatic? Maybe you should try to find a manual equipped car to drive a bit before making the leap. I know it's sacrilege to even say anything bad against manual trannies, but I think it all depends on what you want and enjoy. I can shift a manual with the best of them. But I prefer to not have to. If I really want to shift manually, I can actually still accomplish that by selecting gears with the auto shifter. Otherwise, I let the car do the shifting for me. Lots easier, especially with in town driving. Something to think about.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    I suppose the moral of the story is...what do you want? A stick or an automatic?
    I think he already answered that.

There was something wrong with your manual transmission. That's not typical. Mine shifts beautifully.

As far as gearing goes, he can use any final drive he wants to get his own ideal ratios.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

It's easier to do the swap than to find another E34 in good condition. I'd do the swap.

First I would have eurodepot do the work, second if I were to sell my car and get another 5 it would have to be another 1995 525i black with a beige interior because I love the straight-six and the color. I would end up having to spend the same amount of money on the next car to get it the way I want it not to mention I have quite a bit of the records for this car and I'm only the second owner . Some have told me not to do the swap because the car will never feel the same, I hope it would but not in a negative way. Is this true? does the car feel worse?

here are some pictures of my car

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/E34MGERM/?sc=3
    -Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast