GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Refurbishing Style 5 rims

Default Refurbishing Style 5 rims

I remember a thread about a year ago -- maybe more -- about a guy who had done a thorough at-home job refurbishing his Style 5 rims, including replacing all the little bolts that hold the two pieces together.

Anyone have any idea on how I could find that thread, or know another resource to help me with this winter DIY project?

Thanks in advance.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Jay it's not too hard. you need to seperate the rims. I believe the bolts that hold the center to the barrel are one time use or torque to yield - either way I'd replace them. You can get them directly from BBS for not that much. Then simply use aircraft remove on the centers if you intent to repaint them - this will strip them down to aluminum. As for the barrels, you can drop them off at a wheel repair shop or use your own method of polishign them. I'd recommend clear coating them after you have polished them because those bitches will be a pain to keep clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Jay it's not too hard. you need to seperate the rims. I believe the bolts that hold the center to the barrel are one time use or torque to yield - either way I'd replace them. You can get them directly from BBS for not that much. Then simply use aircraft remove on the centers if you intent to repaint them - this will strip them down to aluminum. As for the barrels, you can drop them off at a wheel repair shop or use your own method of polishign them. I'd recommend clear coating them after you have polished them because those bitches will be a pain to keep clean.
    Thanks Jon.

The centeres aren't too bad. I may just clean them up and otherwise leave them alone. The circumferential bolts are rotten and ugly, so I'll definitely replace them. You say I can get them from BBS. I guess I'll call their customer service number and go from there. Any idea about torque levels and the torquing sequence?

I was going to handle the barrels myself, but maybe it is just better to take them to a shop. I guess if I've done all the disassembling, it shouldn't be too expensive. If I wanted to save money and do it myself, though, what should I do?

Clearcoat is definitely in order. The are clearcoated now, so I will do as BBS does.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can this be done with the tires on, or is getting them off a necessary first step?

I know someone out there has done this before and posted his techniques and results. I remember seeing it ages ago. Can't find it now. I'm not super handy, y'know. I'm confident I can do this job if I have step-by-step instructions, so getting as much info as I can is job 1.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

.....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    Thanks!

I think what I'll do is first order the circumferential bolts, take the wheels apart, clean them, then get a quote for a 'professional' job on the barels. Then go from there.

30lb/ft seems to be the gonig rate on torquing those little bolts.

This'll be a good winter project. Should payoff when the snow melts.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Jay -

Because the wheels are 2 pc and not 3 pc, there is no real seal issue to worry about so the torquing is pretty standard. If you go to to:

http://caswellplating.com/buffs/index.html

They have GREAT polishing products. They also have a very competent forum that I am on! Simply ask your questions there and they will recommend what products to get and use. Moreover, you can use same process on other items

Link to metal polishing forum:

http://forum.caswellplating.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Jay -

Because the wheels are 2 pc and not 3 pc, there is no real seal issue to worry about so the torquing is pretty standard. If you go to to:

http://caswellplating.com/buffs/index.html

They have GREAT polishing products. They also have a very competent forum that I am on! Simply ask your questions there and they will recommend what products to get and use. Moreover, you can use same process on other items

Link to metal polishing forum:

http://forum.caswellplating.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
    Thanks!!

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...postid=3148502

here you go, this is what I used in refinishing my 3 piece ACS.